Topping Lift

Previous topic - Next topic

mtullier

Lesson learned:  Our topping lift broke and the boom came crashing down.  Luckily it missed everyone.  This is the original 1987 coated wire.    This may be old news to most of you, but just wanted to bring it up again.
Mike

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

noworries

How did the boom come crashing down on people? Was the main not up?
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Jim Hardesty

Vinyl coated wire needs to be checked for internal corrosion.   Your misfortune is a reminder to all of us to check life lines.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Les Luzar

The topping lift should not be vinyl coated. Mine is not. Many lifelines are vinyl coated and yes, should be monitored for corrosion. Some people get non-coated lifelines to minimize corrosion, and work, because you will not have to clean non-coated lifelines. My topping lift broke a few years ago when I was lowering my mainsail, and it came crashing down on my biminy. Luckily, no one was hurt. However, usually the topping life would fail when it was under load, hence, when lowering the mainsail, or after the mainsail was lowered. However, anything can fail, at any time under any condition.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ralph Masters

As Les pointed out, it will happen at the wrost possible time too.  I would think that the best time to part the wire for the topping lift would be with the sail down, stored and tension on the main sheet to keep the boom centered and stop it from flopping side to side.  Then you have max tension on that topping lift.  And it's not "if" it breaks, it's "when" it breaks.

Note to self, order a new one>

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

mtullier

The break point was 1 foot from the bottom of the coated wire by the boom.  It broke while I was in the boatswain's chair installing spreader lights.  By the way, the new LED spreader lights work great.  The new wire is larger in dia. and is NOT coated.  Made another trip up the mast this evening to install. 
Mike

Lance Jones

Suggest a rigid boom-vang.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

mtu : Now you can take Lances' suggestion and have an excuse to spend some boat bucks!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman