Autohelm Repair Source

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailingJerry

Thanks so much. Mine "chatters" and slips. It fails to hold a steady course for more than a few minutes at a time. Nice to have a contact person to talk to. Thanks.
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Analgesic

Last Summer mine was chattering, slipping.  I thought it might be almost dead but when I took it apart, I found the old belt was all torn up,  missing some teeth.  I found a cheap replacement, installed it and works fine now.  It took < 1 hour.  Here is the link to buy it. 

http://shop.polybelt.com/Belt-for-ST4000-Autohelm-Raymarine-Autopilot-BAT750AUTOST4000.htm

Brian
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Jim Hardesty

Thanks  :thumb: Think I'll get one, if I buy it, I'll change it this winter.  If not it will probaly stay on the to-do list.
A question for the group.   Should I get 2 to have a spare?  I solo and use the auto a lot.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Les Luzar

If you are confident that it will work, I would buy two to have a spare. If you are not sure it will work, then buy one to see how it goes, and if all works well, get the second one later. Your boat bucks, your call really. But that is what I would do since you are possibly not going to install it for a while.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

SailingJerry

Quote from: Analgesic on December 21, 2012, 08:52:31 AM
Last Summer mine was chattering, slipping.  I thought it might be almost dead but when I took it apart, I found the old belt was all torn up,  missing some teeth.  I found a cheap replacement, installed it and works fine now.  It took < 1 hour.  Here is the link to buy it. 

http://shop.polybelt.com/Belt-for-ST4000-Autohelm-Raymarine-Autopilot-BAT750AUTOST4000.htm

Brian

Brian,
I was at the boat this week (yes with 10" of snow) and had some time to disassemble the autohelm on wheel. I got a lot loose but, two questions,
1) The wheel did not want to come off. Is it OK to use a wheel puller like on a car?
2) How do you get the front face off so I can get to the belt?
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Dave Spencer

Jerry,
Have a look at the ST4000 Manual listed under manuals in the Tech Wiki. 
http://www.ganssle.com/jack/st4000.pdf
Page 12, 13 and 14 give an excellent exploded view and instructions for accessing the belt in the ST4000.  I found if very useful when I was trying to repair the clutch on my Autohelm ST4000.  The sections are separated by simply inserting a wide flat blade in the gap between the drive ring and the mounting plate and twist. 

Alas, no luck for me repairing my clutch.  Despite searching ebay and other sources for months, clutch parts for the ST4000 aren't available anywhere that I can find.  :cry4` A set of vicegrips clamped to the clutch pin did the job for me last summer.  On the positive side, I picked up a brand new Raymarine X5 Wheel Pilot at the Toronto Boat Show last month.  :D  So I will have some spares available for an ST4000 Autohelm once I install the new X5 in the spring.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

SailingJerry

That really helps. I didn't see any screws to hold it together and did not want to go experimenting. Also, I found out the company that sells the belt is 10 minutes from my house. Life's litt;e victories.
Jerry

Mike

First and foremost, a huge thanks to all who contribute to the 34 site.  I have avoided many problems, fixed problems, and made many important upgrades to my 34 thanks to those that are so knowledgeable and willing to pass on their valuable knowledge.  On to the autohelm:  for the last year my st4000-1993 would not correct to starboard when on a tack.  Finally stumbled across Dan from Colorado on our 34 site, sent the head in and in a week it was back and it works!  He said a transistor was bad so he put in 4 new ones with more power all for $75!!!  What a great and honest person to do business with.  He said he only works on Raymaine autohelms.  Thanks again to everyones input.
MIKE : Previous '93 Cat 34 Tall rig