Head lube...

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Just curious, anyone use something other than the commercially tagged "Head Lube"? I've heard that Lanolin is good. Any others?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : You bring up a good question??

I'd guess that "head lube" must be biodegradeable, but that's only my guess!! 

Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

I use about an ounce of vegetable oil in my head about once a month to lubricate the seals and make the pump easier to push. To freshen up the head I use a little pine sole in the bowl occasionally too and it gives the head a more pleasant fragrance.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Stu Jackson

There's really little to lube except the rim of the pump inside the housing.  Take the pump off the base and use Super Lube teflon inside the pump walls.  That's what Peggie recommends.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roger Blake

Squirt of baby oil has worked for me over the years.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

stevewitt1

I know Peggy said NO petroleum based product.  Vegetable oil suggested here but how about something more viscous like Crisco or any vegetable shortening?  Personally, being in the Retail Food Industry (Piggly Wiggly) I like the idea of food based products. LOL

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Roc

You shouldn't put oils into the holding tank (vegetable, mineral, etc.) becuase they will float on the top, suffocating the aerobic bacteria, which would then create a stink due to the formation of anaerobic bacteria.    Super Lube on the pump walls is what you need.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Lance Jones

Is Super Lube a brand name?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Hardesty

I use plumbing "valve grease" buy at any plumbing/home supply/hardware store.  I thought if it's for home water it's OK.  It's part of my spring start-up and appears to last a season for me.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The only thing I ever did was to put some silicone grease on the o-ring of the plunger assembly. Teflon grease for swimming pool pump motors would also work.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The thing that I find most interesting & very frustrating - is the fact that for the first 15+ years that I owned my 1988 C34 (with a Jabsco head) I never knew there was something called Head Lube because I never needed it!!  

I've called Jabsco (customer service) a number of times in the past few years and ask them what has changed in the "O" ring (composition?) in the pump base that has caused the need for Head Lube?  
All I get is a Daaaa??? because the person that I talk to was neither born in 1988 OR was in elementry school then and doesn't know what I'm talking about!!

My feelings.  It p*sses me off that I have to carry 2 spare pump assemblies lubed and ready to install when the one on the head gets so stiff and it's hard to pump.  

The body liquids and solids being pumped are the same, so it's something else that has caused the need for head lube!!  "O" rings made in China??  

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Super Lube is the brand name I think.  It's a PTFE lube.  I found a tube of it in Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks.   Also, Forespar told me Super Lube is good for greasing up the marelon valves.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Lance Jones

As usual, great insights all!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

lazybone

I also had problems with difficult pumping and O-ring chattering.  I tried a few different new o rings and nothing helped.

finally tried bore honing the inside of the tube with a engine cylinder hone in a cross hatch pattern.

Problem solved.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677