Area under oven

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue Clancy

We just purchased our boat in October and have of course a list of things to do to make the boat "our own". One of the areas that I have been curious about is the open area under the stove.  This seems like a space I might want to store some awkward things like a pot or pan with a handle but I am concerned it will fly out when sailing. I saw an older mainsheet article with a photo of a drawer front put in front of that area but there was no info about securing it or size. Has anyone done his or any other ideas for this space that might help. Perhaps some photos.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Stu Jackson

We keep a small dishrack and backup tea towels (hung on the oven handle).  There's also room for backup paper towels and a small hand plastic rug cleaner ($1 Store variety).  Plus a couple of large sponges.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

TonyP

We have bugee cord across this area and store 2 x pots and lids, a frying pan,a dish rack and the toaster. An awkward spot but seems to work ok for us  ... We each have our own ideas.
Good luck
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Paulus

We use the area for pots and pans.  Use a heavy duty spring loaded curtain rod with rubber ends.  Works great.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

patrice

Yes it's a nice place for storage, but we have our fridg compressor located in this place.
Good ventillation for it.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ken Juul

We have a net held in place with bungee cords.  Store mostly tupperware and other kitchen accessories.  Pots and pans stay in the oven.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

I have always stored my (30lb?) tool box in the at area under the oven.  Another thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

Tool box under the range and the "bag of tricks" is in the forward port settee. 

The "bag of tricks" is all the spare parts, extra hardware, bits and pieces, epoxy, hose stock, wire, you name it..... in a gym size duffel bag, and it's pretty full.  Quick access in all cases.  The tool box is a plastic tackle box that fits nicely beneath the range.  The quicker the access to the tool box the better.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Indian Falls on December 09, 2012, 07:28:02 PM
The quicker the access to the tool box the better.

I agree.  Our nav station "desk" is our tool box.   :D

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-aquavite.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

I store my daughter there, she's only 10 months old now.  JUST KIDDING before someone hacks up a hairball, it was just a joke, she will be 25 on Christmas Day.  She has boated since 6 months old, infant floatation and usually loved being layed down in the V-birth.
  Have a small plastice bin that fits nice with assorted kitchen items in it.  There is still enough room for our Kujo, ok, our Schipperke to hide when it gets too rough for her.  Once on an exceptionally exhilerating trip I looked down and saw her butt and her face right next to each other filling the unused space which isn't that wide.  For a small dog I had a hard time believing she could get in that tight of a U-shape.

Roger Blake

I store air in mine...no need for any restraining straps...stays in place no matter the weather.  :D
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

stevewitt1

Roger

I don't want to seem critical, being a newbe and all, but; come on,
QuoteI store air in mine...no need for any restraining straps...stays in place no matter the weather

Given the Forum and Organization we are in, wouldn't the appropriate answer: I store "sail boat fuel" in mine?

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  and  www.warbirdsix.com

Roger Blake

Steve...hope you did not see my initial response...did not see your full message...you are correct...I use that area as a spare fuel area...but have not quite figured out how to get it to the sails...thought about inhaling then blowing in the sails...but think that will not work. Going back to the drawing board...maybe a storage area for physical stuff is better. Know others on this website went down that avenue.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

RV61

We have a small toaster oven in this spot. We do take it out of this spot when in use.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

tonywright

Quote from: stevewitt1 on December 11, 2012, 07:44:58 PM
I store "sail boat fuel" in mine?

Careful, boat fuel is explosive when mixed with propane  8)
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada