Oberdorfer impeller

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent & Jane Overbeck

I had planned to replace the original impeller with the Globe product.  However there were washers on the front and back of the original impeller that wont fit into the recesses on the globe.  The pump diagram doesn't show these washers.  Are they really necessary?

Stu Jackson

Kent, I do not know if you have done a search on "globe"  ---  here's one of the "hits"

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5590.0.html

There are many other threads on this issue.

Your boat, your choice, I wouldn't recommend them, given the issues with them.  I use the black OEMs, I get them locally at a Universal dealer or buy a few at a time from DEPCO.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Soko

Kent,
I ran several different impellers in the Oberdorfer pump without washers for many hundreds of hours, and never had a problem.  I never could figure out what they were for.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Kent : I ran into a similar situation way back in 1989!!  The washers are not shown in the parts break down and the Universal dealer couldn't find them in his parts list either.  I continued to use the washers for a few more years until I changed to the Globe impellers. 
I probably used the Globe impellers for about 20 years (almost 5000hrs) with no problem and never had a blade break off of them as the black ones did.

I now have a new engine with a Sherwood pump and I use the Globe impellers and carry the black ones as spares.  200hrs to date and no problem with the same Globe impeller!! 

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Thanks Guys,,The washers will be history.

Kent

crieders

On an even simpler level, I went to remove the impeller on my new Oberdorfer pump, and I could not get it off. Do I need a puller or is there some other technique?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff, on my pump shaft there is a small "circlip" that I have used two small flat screwdrivers.  I do believe that there is tool made that can be used to pry the "jaws" apart, but I started doing it this way for years before I even learned that there was such a tool, so I never bothered to buy one.  Two tiny screwdrivers are a lot less expensive for a single use, relatively costly tool.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Cliff : I had the same problem way back when I first go my boat in 1989. 
Wrote an article for the Mainsheet which stated that I couldn't get the stainless shaft off the old impeller and had to sail to the dock!!

I took the shaft home and set it in a vice.  Then I took a drift pin and tried to tap the shaft out of the impeller.  Nothing happened so I got a bigger hammer. 
The bottom line was that that shaft was solidly in that impeller.  I suspect that the stainless shaft and the bronze inside of the impeller decided to fuse together!

Dis-similiar metals tend to do that, so I always put some grease or lanacane on the shaft now before sliding on an impeller!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788