Replacing Vang and Traveler

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

I am thinking of replacing my rope vang with a rigid vang and also replacing the traveller. Any suggestions out there for brand/type and model ?

Analgesic

The prior owner of my boat replaced everything with Garhauer traveller, vang and all blocks so I have never known anything else.  I have owned the boat 10 years with no issues ever.  I have done some fun races with my friends who own J109s, Tartans and Hinckleys and all comment on how much better everything works on my boat. 
Brian
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Ken Juul

I am a huge Garhauer fan.  They sell to OEM and the public.  No middlemen to raise prices.  They know catalinas and will ensure the part you order will fit your boat.  They make everything they sell, can modify if asked.  Great people to work with.  On line catalog is kind of hard to navigate, but they always answer the phone.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stephen Butler

Last year we replaced mainsheet system, traveler, vang, etc.  Checked with Harkin and could never get a clear answer on what to keep, what to replace, what models, parts needed, etc.  Called Garhauer and then saw them at some boat shows.....great advice, discounted parts, and everything works great.  One thing...we went with a rope vang...we use a drop in A/C. Go with Garhauer would be our advice.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Volk

I added a fixed vang and new traveller, both from Garhauer and am completely satisfied.  Called them up, explained what I had, they gave me modification options for the traveller & both the vang & traveller work fine.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Phil Spicer

We have changed all old Garhauer to new Garhauer blocks  & travler. Wife really likes the travler. Got it the first year it was offered. It is now time (& wife) approved ! You can get it with both lines on port or stb. or the standard way with one line on each side. May convert to stb side so all adjusting is done from one side. Will also run lines back to the back of the cabin top....one more project to add to "The List." Other manufacturers talked about saving weight....I liked saving $$$$$$. Also added fiddle blocks to make a double ended main sheet. All runs smooth.
    Just my comments....your $$$$
             Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Also made plates for cam cleats
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

shan : I've mentioned this a number of times.  Get the Garhauer ridged vang and install it. 

Then use it for a season and then see if you really need a new traveler!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

shanagolden

Thanks for all your comments out there. Seems Garhauer is the way to go.

Shanagolden, from cold and snowing Boston Harbor.

Les Luzar

Ron,
I like your thought on the Garhauer Rigid Vang, I have been thinking about both the rigid vand and new traveller but if the rigid vang helps then I am going to think about that upgrade first and see how it goes... so many projects, so little time! Does the rigid vang take some tension off the traveller?
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Eed : The vang might take some of the tension off the traveler, but I found that instead of moving the traveler I just let out some of the main sheet line/vang control line and that does the job for me. 

Like I said, if you planned on doing both upgrades, try the vang first and see if that doesn't do the job.  You can always change the traveler later.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

The purpose of the vang is to control twist in the sail.  The purpose of the traveler is to adjust the angle of the sail to the apparent wind.  They both in different ways control how much power the main is producing.  I don't have a rigid vang, but find my my soft vang is most useful downwind when there is a lot of  mainsheet out.  Keeps the sail from twisting.  With the traveler the mainsheet can control sail twist and the traveler can be adjusted to control how much power the main is making.  I use it on all points of sail, but it is most useful with the wind forward of beam.  A thought about having both traveler lines on the same side of the cockpit.  My crew knows if the boat is getting overpowered or healing too much to release the traveler line on the high side of the cockpit.  The same concept would work if they were both on the same side, but a bit less obvious.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

Very good Ken.  For all that are confused about sail controls, or like me sometimes just confused.  I like
Don Guillette's "Sail Trim Chart" and "Users Guide".   Good simple instructions.  It's short, I read it every spring at the start of sailing season.

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?51999/Sail%20Trim%20Chart%20and%20Sail%20Trim%20Guide

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

I agree with Ken and Jim.  The traveler changes the "angle of attack" without compromising sail shape.  We find it MUCH easier to readjust the traveler than the mainsheet for modest adjustments of the main.  It's a lot more work to grind in the mainsheet after you've let it out.  This assumes, of course, that you get the newer 6:1 traveler control lines.  With a dodger, you can have Garhauer remove the cam cleats from the traveler end cars and replace them with a sheave, run the lines through grommets in the front dodger glass, and then to bullet fairleads and cam cleats on the aft end of the cabintop.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry, I should have said, I let out some main sheet/vang line when I'm beating to a beam reach.

Ken, I also use my soft vang as a preventer when sailing down wind.

I'd still recommend to those that are looking to upgrade to a ridgid vang and a traveler to do the vang installation first!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788