Black water in bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

bayates

Looking at pretty disgusting black water in the bilge.  It is not greasy or oily so do not suspect diesel or oil.  Also checked holding tank which is empty and has no visible leaks or wet areas near it.  I have see the threads on exhaust hose or muffler leaks.  Whatever it is left black residue in bilge.  The Hakuna Matata is a 2000 MKII.  I would like some help on how to troubleshoot and determine if that is the issue.

Brian
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

mregan

I have the same issue on mine.  Also had the same problem on my C-30.  Never found any source of the black.  I always chalked it up to dust/dirt/mold under the sole getting washed into the bilge but not sure if I'm correct.

SailingJerry

Same on my 1990. I believe it is just mold from standing water, especially from the small part of the bilge forward of the mast.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Jim Hardesty

Brian,
My first season with Shamrock I chased a lot of small leaks.  Since our hull numbers are close this list may help.

The weep hole at the mast base was plugged and small.  Water would follow the wires into the bilge.  Unstepped the mast cleaned and make the hole bigger.

The pressure relief valve at the hot water tank would sometimes leak.  Replaced. Think that the PO used that to drain the tank for winterization, not a good idea.

Shaft log leaked.  Adjusted.  Eventualy changed the cutless bearing and packing and realigned the engine.  Now dry.

Emergency tiller cover leaked.  Replaced the o-ring.

That's about it.  Now my bilge is dry all season, except I put in A.C. and need to do some thing with the condensation.  One last thing.  There was a lot of stuff, saw dust, small wood and fiberglass trimmings, droped screws, ect. left from construction.  Took me some time to flush and clean that all out and get the limber holes flowing.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

stevewitt1

If you suspect mold or mildew is the culprit that is making the water black I would try adding a small amount of bleach to the water.  Don't go crazy and turn your cabing into a chlorine hazard zone.  If you are worried about any odor or fume you might try bromine.  I use bromine in my hot tub because it is indoors.  I would take my chance on a slight chemical odor versus the presence of mold or mildew.

Remember "more is not necessarily better"

Maybe some qualified chemists here can offer a better explanation or warning not to do what I would.

Steve
visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

patrice

Hi All,

Reading this thread, and was wondering how you guys clean the area between hull and floor.
I got my boat last summer, and it is not very clean in this area.  I understand that over the years, dirt as accumulated.
Like the area in the back bert, when remove the wood panel under the matress.  In the head, when opening the cabinet door.....

Was wondering if anyone used like a pressure washer at a lower pressure or simple garden hose, to clean as much as possible, and have the bilge pump the water out.

As usual, thanks for your inputs.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stephen Butler

We have used a garden hose with a restricted nozzle to flush out spaces where we could not reach by hand.  Have also used a spray bottle with Simple Green to loosen up the crud.  Worked great and no smells, etc.  We have used some commercial bilge cleaners and beach on one occasion when the macenator self-destructed, but again, a good flush with a garden hose and all was well.  Hope this helps
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

lazybone

Quote from: bayates on November 25, 2012, 04:48:17 PM
Looking at pretty disgusting black water in the bilge.  It is not greasy or oily so do not suspect diesel or oil.  Also checked holding tank which is empty and has no visible leaks or wet areas near it.  I have see the threads on exhaust hose or muffler leaks.  Whatever it is left black residue in bilge.  The Hakuna Matata is a 2000 MKII.  I would like some help on how to troubleshoot and determine if that is the issue.

Brian

Gotta ask,  "What's it taste like"

Could be chocolate.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

stevewitt1

I wish my boat made chocolate in the bilge!

"Death by chocolate" is an acceptable way to go!

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com

patrice

Quote from: Stephen Butler on November 27, 2012, 06:06:41 AM
We have used a garden hose with a restricted nozzle to flush out spaces where we could not reach by hand.  Have also used a spray bottle with Simple Green to loosen up the crud.  Worked great and no smells, etc.  We have used some commercial bilge cleaners and beach on one occasion when the macenator self-destructed, but again, a good flush with a garden hose and all was well.  Hope this helps

Thanks Steve,
I'll try it when weather comes back, well, next year I mean.    :cry4`

Sorry for interrupting the post.    :abd:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~