Replacing Vang and Traveler

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I've installed the rigid vang and the Garhauer 6 to 1 traveller. Both are huge improvements. But for my money the old traveller was just about useless if there was any load on the main..forget about adjusting the sail back toward the centre unless your name is The Hulk. Typically once your main is trimmed nicely you want to use the traveller to adjust. Well it's a breeze with the new one. My old vang worked but I wanted rid of the topping lift. I felt the old traveller really wasn't working at 3 to 1 purchase except in light airs. 
So for me if I had to choose one it would be the traveller...once you do, guess what, you start using it!

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Craig Illman

Ditto to Hawk's comments. Both are great upgrades that make your boat easier and more efficient to sail.

Craig

Ed Shankle

As another endorsement of Garhauer, I also replaced my vang and traveler (in different years) and have been happy with the results. When I spoke with Guido, he said that since I already had a Garhauer traveler track, all I needed was the travel car and end units. Saved money and the work of getting the track off. Got to like that kind of customer support!

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA