Catalina 355

Previous topic - Next topic

FH

Hello,
I am in the process of putting an offer for a new 355. We are family of 4 and will sail in Georgian Bay in the weekends or couple of weeks cruising. Is she big enough for our use? Should I get an older and bigger model?
Thanks,
Farzad

cmainprize

Farzad,as soon as you put kids on a boat they are never big enough.  We have cruised the Georgian Bay for 5-6 weeks at a time plus many weekend and day runs with our two kids (now 5 and 2) on our 34.  Many Many people sail smaller boats with more people, only you will know with what you are comfy with. Good Luck and see you on the bay.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stu Jackson

Farzad,

The C355 groups has not yet set up their own Catalina C355 Association.  They do, however, have an "Unofficial C355 Group" at their Google group (http://www.catalina355.net).  You can join for free and ask them directly.

Depends how old your kids are and if they need or want separate cabins.  Given the almost identical layouts of both the C34 and C355, you can do the math.

There simply aren't that many boats in our size range that have any more cabins.  You'd need to go up in size to find boats with split double aft cabins plus a V berth or pullman forward to three separate sleeping cabins plus a saloon.

The advantages of the C34 (which also apply to the C355) remain:  aft head (great for privacy when using at night compared to a forward head when guests are using it when someone's sleeping forward), great layout maximizes usable space, and all the rest of the great things included in the "Why we are Catalina Owners....read these!" topics, here: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

Happy hunting.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Farzad,  Sounds like a great plan for the summer.  My 2 cents has to do with Great Lakes cruising, holding tank capicity.  Altho I don't cruise with a family, the first shortage, need, is for a pump out.  It's not like being on the ocean where you can just pump over board.  I don't know the current size for the 355 holding tank but I think that it's one thing to consider.   Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Footloose

Having cruised with a family of four for about ten years, I will throw in my two cents.  As some have said a boat is never big enough.  We started on a 27 ft Bristol that we quickly out grew.  We find the C34 quite adequate however for our family.  Our two kids are opposite sex so someone has to sleep an the saloon table.  Although not ideal it works.  Everyone has to learn to be considerate which can be a challenge for a family.  A key to harmony is that we look for anchorages that allow us to get off the boat.  We will either swim in to shore or take the dinghy.  Others have already talked about other features that make the boat work well.  The C355 should serve you well.

BTW-My kids are now 18 and 15.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

FH

Thank you everybody for great tips. I have 2 boys 3 and 15. ( I know it just happened that way :cry4`) I looked in to catalina 380 but I think C 34/355 has superior performance than C380.

Clay Greene

Do a search for C355 on YouTube and you will find two interviews of Gerry Douglas (Catalina's chief engineer and part-owner) describing the interior and exterior attributes of the C355.  There are many upgrades that almost had me reaching for my wallet.  They've done a lot of nice things with the more modern boats. 

We have two 12-year old girls so I think you are right to ask these questions.  Ours have gotten to the point that they do not want to sleep in the same berth so we have one in the aft cabin and the other sleeps in the salon.  As a result, their stuff migrates all over the boat.  But I think that is inevitable in any boat that does not have twin aft cabins. 

One other practical thing about the C34/C355 is that the door to the aft cabin is through the galley.  If you have kids constantly going in and out of the aft cabin (as they seem to do), there is always traffic going through the galley.  Can get kind of annoying when you are trying to make dinner.  That is not a problem with the U-shaped galleys in the C36 and the C380/387. 

The waste tank in the C355 is the same as the C34 - 27 gallons.  I would suggest you get a tank monitor - we installed one for our waste tank and both water tanks and it is a nice feature for cruising.  The nice thing about the C355 is that it has almost 25 percent greater water tank capacity than the C34 Mark I - 101 gallons compared to 27 gallons. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Quote from: claygr on December 03, 2012, 02:25:47 PM
If you have kids constantly going in and out of the aft cabin (as they seem to do), there is always traffic going through the galley.  Can get kind of annoying when you are trying to make dinner.  That is not a problem with the U-shaped galleys in the C36 and the C380/387.  

However, and here's the "but" --- be careful when you inspect one of these, because the companionway steps are SOOOO much steeper, and the galley sinks and counter are right at the bottom and "just below" waist/belt level, just like the C30, C309 and C315.  Tread carefully. 8)  :shock:

You will also learn to appreciate that aft head.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

No boat is too big, or too small, or too right....it depends on the moment and the use.  We have been in sea situations that in a much bigger boat we would have had difficulties handling situation, and of course when at anchor or on the dock, and particularly with guests, felt we absolutely needed another few feet to properly relax and enjoy the moment.  We have had opportunities to up-size and each time, have backed away, not because of increased costs, but because the C34/C355 is just a great sized and configured (aft head!) coastal cruising vessel.   With kids on a long cruise, it will be too small at times, but for a weekend and/or overnight and day sailing, it is great (IOHO). A final opinion....whether you buy new or used, there will soon be a long and growing list of modifications, additions, and maintenance issues to contend with...sort of a spend it now or spend it later situation.  Think either a good used C34 or a new C355 would serve you well.  Hope this helps. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Steve McGill

Farzad,

The 355 is an excellent choice as are any 34'+ Catalina's. Many time we are out for the weekend with additional family or another couple with plenty of room.
We all make choices, but after 7 years we still think we made the right decision with maybe the the 385 which does make us think about that a little more :D

Glaygr, My #588 came from the factory with 77 gallon water capacity. 43 in the aft tank, 28 in the starboard and 6 in the HWH.

Enjoy,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Solstice

Farzad,

I have owned my 355 for two seasons now. We bought this boat to replace our 320 with the idea of living/cruising the coast of New England for the summer. It is only the two of us and when we were boat shopping, we had the following criteria: We actually wanted the *smallest* boat we could find that had an island berth, separate shower and adequate tankage--sailing capability needed to be a given. We were in no hurry to buy a boat, but when we saw the 355 it ticked all of our boxes and turned out to be just what we were looking for. An added bonus for us was that it was a Catalina.

The '5 Series' boats have a higher price point than previous models, but if you look at some of the innovations in these boats (chainplate implementation, watertight bulkhead or 'Strike zone' aft of the anchor locker, mast compression post etc) along with some additional fit and finish characteristics we felt it was worth the premium. Some may feel these are marketing gimicks, but I've been messing about with boats for 25 years and see these as value add items. The other great feature was tankage--27g holding tank (monitor comes standard), 101g water--very important and 30g fuel all make staying on the boat for longer periods. And she sails amazingly well. We have a couple of owners who race competitively and do very well. Don't forget that like all Catalinas, you can turn the salon area into a huge berth by dropping the table and using the supplied cushion insert. I could go on, but if you have specific questions, feel free to contact me and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
Jon Vez
Solstice #17

Clay Greene

Yes, sorry about the typographical error in my post above - the C34 Mark I water tank capacity is 77 gallons according to my manual, not 27 gallons.  The point about almost 25 percent greater water capacity in the C355 was correct (101 compared to 77). 

Stu is, of course, right about the steep steps in the C380 and the C36 and the location of the galley at the bottom of the steps.  And I do prefer the aft head to the forward head because we sleep in the V berth, although the idea of an "en suite" head is appealing.  Just further proof that there is no perfect boat - each is a compromise and you have to make certain adaptations.  I am sure the owners of Oysters and Swans have their own website forums where they wish for one thing different or another. 

There was a comment above about a C34 or a C355 outperforming a C380.  At least according to PHRF ratings, that would not be correct.  PHRF ratings vary from place to place and from boat to boat, but I believe that a C380/C387 would have to give about 30 seconds per mile to a C34.  The U.S. Sailing average PHRF rating for a standard rig, fin keel C34 Mark II is 147 and 120 for a standard rig, fin keel C380.  The average for the C387 wing keel (only the wing keel is listed) is 129. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hawk

We have cruised often for 2 weeks up the coast of BC and down to the US San Juans with two boys now 15 and 17 and getting big. The aft cabin has always been theirs and even though it is a little tight now they are in sleeping bags and no complaints. I'm not a fan of fiddling with the saloon table unless necessary. At anchor they often tuck in the aft cabin, close the door and watch a movie or play cards.......everyone happy.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35