mold and mildew in the pacific northwest

Previous topic - Next topic

peterr

I am interested in purchasing a C34.  I live in the pacific northwest, Vancouver BC to be exact.  I am curious as to any mold and mildew issues with the C34, particularly if the boat is being moored on the wet coast...  Also, what is suggested in keeping the possibility of mold and mildew to a minimum...

Sincerely,

Peter Rawsthorne

tandm

We live on Puget Sound and I have seen what can happen to a boat that is left on a mooring without heat over the winter.  We keep our c34 at a marina with "free" shore power so we use 4 low wattage boat heaters designed to prevent this problem and 3 of the chemical driers you can get at Home Depot.  In addition, we have a solar powered cabin fan that will actually run during our dreary winter days. With this setup we have never had any problems with mold or mildew.

There are dangers in using electrical heaters on  boats (even the very low power kind) so I check the boat regularly.  If you deside to go this route you may want to check with your insurance company and marina first.

BTW, hasn't the sunshine been great this week?

td

td
Peregrine #543

SailDan

We sail Lake Michigan and store "on the hard" during the winter east of Chicago.  The humidity here is not equivalent to that in the Pacific Northwest but can be sufficiently high during winter so as to cause a mildew problem during storage. We’ve found that “Damp-Rid” or a similar product, e.g. “No-Damp”, works well to prevent mildew during this period.  These products (a.k.a. "chemical driers") consist of granules of anhydrous calcium chloride that absorb water from the air.  You can purchase the granules and special two-compartment bowls needed for their use from most chain hardware / home repair stores (“Damp-Rid’) or West Marine (“No-Damp”).  We use about 10 small containers distributed between the V-berth, saloon and stern cabin which requires about 3/4 to 1 gal. of the granules per season.  Because of the high humidity in your region, you may need to check the bowls periodically to empty any collected water and replenish the granules.

Good Luck

[This message was edited by Dan Harrington, #1289  1994, "Weal Sea" on January 09, 2003 at 04:13 PM.]

Stu Jackson

Peter

There are a number of C34s in Vancouver, and on the island(s).  I know for sure of one in Sidney, and one on the island just north of Active Pass, since I visited with them last year.  There are at least three back on the mainland in Vancouver itself.  

We were just up visiting my in-laws in Cobble Hill.

I understand DAMP!!!

There's not much different with a C34 that other yachtsmen with other manufacturer's boats haven't figured out for your environment.  If anything, the passive ventilation on a C34, especially an older one with the dorade vents, is superior to most boats, and should aid in reducing mildew and mold.

If you'd like to get in contact with the two owners on the island, please let me know directly by email off this board, and I'll get in contact with them and ask them to contact you directly.

Best regards,

Stu Jackson
IAC34 Secretary
sec@c34.org
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jentine

My wife and I have two boats, one in the Florida Keys and the other in Connecticut.  The Florida boat is buttoned up for much of the year in a very humid environment.   The Connecticut boat is on  a mooring in the spring, summer and autumn and is winter stored in the water.  Both boats have one solar powered vent to maintain a fresh flow of air.  My wife cleans each boat yearly and applies the following solution to the entire boat, including in the lockers and I spray it in the bilges.  We have never had any mildew in either boat.

1 tsp Borax
3 Tbs Vinegar
2 C hot tap water
Put in spray bottle, shake and spray on.
(do not wipe off) it leaves no film
Jim Kane

rdavison

Gorbash has been in Anacortes now for 6 years.  We use 2 low wattage West Marine heaters in addition to the dorade vents, solar vent, and a slightly open head hatch.  So far no mildew problems.  Since we don't have a completely dry bilge, we heat up the boat at least once a month or so using the diesel and electric heaters to really dry it out.

For TD - I found an excuse to get up to the boat today from Edmonds since it was such a great sunny day.  Drizzles back on Saturday.

Randy Davison  k7voe

tandm

I can only speak from personal experience but I tried venting and cleaning on our previous boat when I first moved to the Pacific Northwest.  It rained condensation inside almost as much it at rained outside. It was incredible.  I was a little slow on the uptake but I finally realized that most boats in our marina had some form of heat source to raise the interior temperature a few degrees to help the ubiquitous Nico vents.

I had the chance to go on board an Islander 30 that had been left on a mooring all winter.  Apparently, the owner was new to boating and just left the boat in font of his water-front home.  Almost ever interior surface was covered with a thick grey fuzz.  He eventually sold the boat at a considerable loss.  

I should add that some folks in this area may not need to take the measures we do.  This area has many micro climates.  Our marina averages over 50 inches of rain a year (almost all of it in the late fall and winter) while points 20 miles to the north average 22 and areas 30 miles to our soutwest average over 70. There are also variations in water and air temperature, all be it, less drastic than the rain fall variations.

Perhaps the combination of almost constant rain, and cool water, and cooler air temperature make our situation unique.

td
Peregrine #543

[This message was edited by TD "Peregrine" 1988 #543 on January 09, 2003 at 09:53 PM.]

hdevera

Although not specific to the original question, here's what I have done to control mildew /condensation over the past 14 years with 3 different boats.  The best contol is with a dehumidifier.  I currently have on which I place on top of the table and it drains directly into the sink.  This prevents a favorable environment to grow mold.  A benefit is that even on the dampest days, I stay dry below.  To kill any mold that might grow, I use a ozonator and have it timed to run between 2-4 hrs per day.  Whenever I leave the boat for any significant length of time, I try to open the doors and draweres and cabinets to allow for air circulation.  Finally, I installed a forced air diesel heater to make things nice and comfy.  The latter is not necessary, but sure does make things warm and dry during those rainy days in the winter (SF Bay area).  

The drawback to this method... it's not cheap.

rdavison

Hal, interesting idea using a dehumidifier.  Which one do you have?  I noticed that ebay has lots of Goldstar and Kenmore units with prices at $71 or bids below.  These are 30 to 45 pint portable units that draw 7 amps at 110V.  Is this the type you are using.

Any downsides besides the 750 watts of draw, drainage and storage requirements?  I'm thinking that one could be left on the boat when we're not there for a month at a time during the winter and then stowed in the car when out until summer storage at home.

Randy Davison  k7voe