Stanchion Rebedding

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

I have just encountered the apparently common problem of water leaking through the starboard double stanchion above the galley resulting in wet moldy wood on the storage shelf and the wooden AC outlet  cover cracking in two.   I found references here to Main Sail's instructions for using Butyl Tape for this project  but have not found a link to the actual  article searching this site.  Does anybody have this?  Also, having never worked with butyl tape or epoxy for that matter, is this a project I should/can take on in November in New England-current daily temp ranging 30-50 but going down fast?  I don't want to fill a hole with epoxy only to have it never cure.  Thanks.
Brian
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailingJerry

I just did mine yesterday. Many pictures included on this site. After the first stanchion, the others went quicker and quicker. You are correct about the butyl getting harder to mold. It worked fine in 50 degrees and sunny, but by 4pm and getting chilly it was getting harder to work with. Good luck.   
http://www.anything-sailing.com/showthread.php/7742-Bedding-Deck-Hardware-With-Bed-It-Butyl-Tape

Jerry S
Pleiades Hull #1076
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame