Dinghy davits on MK I?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Brad Young on October 31, 2012, 01:09:38 PM
Extra length: In Mexico it did not, However in San Diego it will.

My davits do not fold in. I am thinking on how to make it foldable.
Have not come up with a way yet. Any Ideas?

Brad

I guess I can call Garhauer and see what they say. I know some davits do fold in. Probably have to check with my marina regarding the the extra length. If they don't charge for it then it's probably not a big deal for me.

Les Luzar

I know that the Kato Dinghy Davits will fold in, I am not sure about Garhauer. You will have to check. Regarding whether or not you will have to pay more depends on your marina rules. At my marina, all 35ft slips are the same price and you can put a boat up to 39ft 11 inches inside a slip. However, our marina used to charge by the actual length overall including all overhangs. In this case folding davits would save you money. You will have to do your homework and decide how you will proceed.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ken Juul

All the ones that I have seen that fold in don't seem to be as sturdy as the fixed variety.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Les Luzar on October 31, 2012, 04:36:11 PM
I know that the Kato Dinghy Davits will fold in, I am not sure about Garhauer. You will have to check. Regarding whether or not you will have to pay more depends on your marina rules. At my marina, all 35ft slips are the same price and you can put a boat up to 39ft 11 inches inside a slip. However, our marina used to charge by the actual length overall including all overhangs. In this case folding davits would save you money. You will have to do your homework and decide how you will proceed.

At my marina I think the slips are only for boats up to 30'. The bigger boats tie up alongside the dock (so boats are lined up), where I could see them charging for extra length. I'll just have to check and find out.

Les Luzar

Ken,
Thanks for your comment. Sturdiness would be an important consideration for me if I were to get dinghy davits. I will pay attention to this when doing my research.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

gwp

Steve Weiss

Quote from: gwp on November 01, 2012, 09:40:06 AM
Another idea which works well....
http://www.dinghy-tow.com/

Looks like it might be an improvement over the conventional way of towing the dinghy, but for my needs (getting dog in and out of dinghy) I think I'm going to need davits.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
I had a WM/ Zodiac 10'2" dinghy on my boat and it does fit in front of the mast with room to spare.
I also had a garhauer outboard motor lift that I liked very much. Later when I installed a radar post on the transom,(garhauer again}it also came with a motor lift on it. I was able to use the two motor lifts as davits and it worked out very well. Also the lifts can be removed or folded in very easily if needed. I have always been very happy with the people at Garhauer and reccomend them highly! If I can find some pictures I will post them.
BTW I do not put the motor on the dinghy when it is on the davits. The motor sits on a bracket on the stern rail so after you drop the dinghy, you then use one of the lifts to lower the motor onto the dinghy.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike's idea is really very good.  He'd posted it before and if I ever think I need davits, I'd follow his advice and use two Garhauer lifts.  Mike, thanks for the reminder.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Weiss

Quote from: Brad Young on October 31, 2012, 01:09:38 PM
Extra length: In Mexico it did not, However in San Diego it will.

My davits do not fold in. I am thinking on how to make it foldable.
Have not come up with a way yet. Any Ideas?

Brad

Brad,

Did you look into this swivel base from Garhauer?

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=82

Edit: Looking at the larger picture it seems it only allows movement up/down rather than in/out. So maybe not a solution.