HF Radios

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

I have been curious for some time now at how many of you out there have an HF radio installed on your
boat, whether it's a marine SSB or a amateur radio.  What model radio, what antenna setup do you use?
Larry,  K8QER
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

waterdog

I had an ICOM 802 and a Pactor modem.  Antenna tuner in the port side cockpit locker  Insulated back stay for an antenna and lots of copper foil...   Used the system on our Mexican cruise and then sold it all off when we came back home. 

We just used Sailmail and the marine SSB channels and never pursued an amateur license.

Great radio, but it is a big investment. Thousands of dollars to achieve something less than dial up speed.  But one day it was blowing 30 with 18 foot seas and we were pinned in an anchorage.  I was the only boat with access to GRIB files and the ability to deliver a weather forecast.  I was nominated commodore of the Punta Baja Yacht Club and never had to buy my own beer when we got to Cabo San Lucas.  So overall a good investment...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

John Langford

I have a portable ham radio setup using a Yaesu FT-817 transceiver and a 20m meter standard dipole or end fed 10-20-40 meter dipole which I hoist in anchorages using the main halyard and an attachment to a pushpit railing. I am also experimenting with the Buddipole antenna the base of which I insert into a stainless steel fishing rod holder on a pushpit railing. For VHF I use the masthead VHF antenna which is resonant on 2 meters or just a handheld transceiver in the cockpit. Since the FT-817 is only 5 watts I usually operate CW except for 2 meters. I do not have an exotic grounding system on the boat.

I have had amazing luck on summer evenings on 15 and 20 meters making solid contacts into Europe and all over the Pacific from anchorages in the Pacific Northwest. Being right on salt water with long clear horizons and little electrical noise etc makes an enormous difference.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Exodus

I have the Icom M-710 with an insulated backstay and the KISS counterpoise system.

Jason
KB5BQD
WDF7026

Fuzzy

Jason: 

Would the KISS counterpoise system be an easy DIY project for anyone?  Isn't it just 1/4 wave length
conductors in a common enclosure?  How well does it work?
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Exodus

Larry,

Yes, the KISS counterpoise is an easy solution that works very well.  You simply connect it to the tuner and place it where you want it.

I previously tried copper foil run to the keel bolt and ladder line snaked through the bilge and neither worked as well as the KISS.