Hurricane Sandy

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

Anyone on here having to prepare for hurricane Sandy?
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

mregan

Up here in RI, we are getting ready.  Will know more in a day or two how hard we are going to get hit.  Going to the boat today to get the sails down and a couple more lines on her.

Terry Forshier

In Naples Fl this morning we are getting 30 to 35 mpg gusts. windy but thank goodness not close enough to require stripping the boat again.

Ron Hill

Guys : My boat is out of the water and I'm going down to recheck everything.  All the sails are off, Bimini off, dodger off, dink tied down.

Jim Cantorie is heading for New York city so we know where the worst is going to happen!!~!

Good luck to us all on the right coast and hope that damage in minimal. 
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Scotty

Gary

Thanks Scotty!  

In Maine we are expecting strong winds, possibly 50-60 knots and rain Monday night through Thursday. We expect to be on Sandy's eastern edge with the storm behaving like a winter Nor'easter. This link is to a web cam at the Portland Yacht Club in Falmouth http://www.portlandyachtclub.com/home/dock-cam where you can follow what is happening on the water. The images shift in a variety of directions every few seconds. The Falmouth anchorage, in summer, is home to over 1000 moorings. There are very few boats in now that will attempt to ride this late fall storm and almost everyone has hauled their boats to land.

Good luck to all !

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Best to you all.  Luck should have little to do with it?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary

Stu,

Understand the luck vs. preparedness idea. KIJE is out of the water, the mast is down, and is stripped absolutely bare. That is the preparedness part. The luck part for us will be: no falling trees or blowing limbs/obstacles hitting the boat at the boatyard. Also, many boats store with mast up, they in turn have more windage and can fall in a "bad"  direction relative to our location. In the summer, at our mooring, the boat can be stripped down and ready to ride out a storm BUT we are on the luck side of the equation when other boats in a mooring field drag their ground tackle, or a boat completely breaks loose and bounces through a mooring field with no disernable owner or insurance responsible. Luck is still a big part of surviving a storm, as is preparedness.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Gary, you're right.  Another boating forum had a great post today about just that: it's unconscionable that inattentive boaters end up wrecking their neighbors, and folks going "above & beyond" to correctly tie up others who haven't even bothered.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I'm parked between two boats.  

One is a sailboat that has stripped all of his "canvas" and everything cleared off the deck.  
On the other side is a 35ft? power boat with all of his "canvas" on the flying bridge still up - Luck is that he takes it down or that if his boat is blown off the jack stands it goes over - away from mine.

A call is into the marina owner and Prayers are in order!!

Also Luck is the path that the storm takes!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

I wish everybody the best in riding out this storm.  Stay safe and dry.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Fuzzy

Ron: 
Keep us all informed of the events with the weather coming up.  Hope you and everyone survives ok.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Ken Juul

On the hard too....the boat yard really stacks them in!  They ran out of stands before they ran out of room.  At high tide this morning the water was all ready over the docks....the big surge will be tonight.  It will take weeks to get the debris out the the rivers/bay :(
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Gary

Images from The Town Landing, Falmouth, Maine....10/29/12 @ 12:12PM. High tide was at 11:30.

Lone vessel left at mooring in an anchorage of over 1000 boats.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

lazybone

I am at ground zero near Philly and my gutters are clogged with leaves.

Wish me luck.

:D
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677