Rudder play

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

Just hauled the boat for winter storage, our season here in the northeast is so short. During the sailing season, I noticed the rudder cap kind of moving in a strange motion, seemed to be moving not just around but a little back and forth.  I had the rudder and steering quadrent,cables replaced several years ago, no problems. When I inspected the rudder on the hard, it had movement side to side and back and forth, more than I am comfortable with.  My question is, is there a bushing where the post goes thru the stern or possibly something else that could have failed inside.  I had no trouble steering the boat, always felt ok, but this movement is causing me concern.  All replys and suggestions are welcome.  Thanks...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

Jeff, www.edsonmarine.com has a very good manual about the entire steering system.  The other issue may be the rudder cap itself.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

My rudder has about 1/8" (1/6" or less per side) of slop, from what I can estimate.  I can just wiggle it a very small bit.  Has been pretty much the same over the years, since I haven't noticed it getting larger. I keep checking it out after haulout to assess if it's getting worse.  I also don't notice any noise when tacking.  I think that much might be just the normal play within the rudder tube. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Jeff : I had the same problem 20 years ago and wrote up the solution that Jerry Douglas gave me.

There is no bearing and the problem is not in the emergency tiller cap of the MKI standard transom.  It is the wear in the PVC tube that the stainless rudder column is in - there is too much lateral play.

It is easy to solve by cutting strips of mylar drafting film and sliding them between the inside of the PVC tube and the stainless column until any extra space is filled. 
I did that probably back in 1992/3? and had to do it again this spring.  The drafting film comes in two thicknesses 5 and 7 mil.  I inserted it around just below the cap and again under the steering quadrant.

A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Thank you Ron for your suggestions.  I knew it was not the tiller cap and had to be in the rudder post area. my friend noticed how the cap was moving this year and brought it to my attention. I thought there might have been a bearing or sleeve that failed thru time.  Next spring I will insert shims. Did you install all around the post or just inserted a few under the cap and below quad., and where did you get them?   I went around the boat yard today, after cleaning up from hurricane damage at home, and shook a few rudders, and found some play in each, as Roc had stated he found in his.  Thanks for your replys...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Jeff : (I inserted it around just below the cap and again under the steering quadrant. )

I got the drafting film from a engineering company. 

I also got a second bearing and put it on a belt sander to get the thickness down to where it would fit on top of the other bearing, just under the tiller cap.  That took out the excess vertical play.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788