America's Cup San Francisco

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

I know its not a catalina 34 or a cruising comment. But catching that TV coverage after a hard
days work, and fairly miserable sailing day here in the northeast. I thought those video angles from the air, the power boats racing around, and the racing boats themselves, was pretty amazing.
Ron

SailingJerry

Ron,
It was definitely great to watch. It's so different seeing the catamerans and crews of 5. I also liked the cutaways to two sloops beating through the harbor. On a different note, how is Dead Horse Bay as a cruising destination? I am in City Island and have only been down the Narrows to Sandy Hook. As our season comes to an end, nothing is better than dreaming about next year's cruises.
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Stu Jackson

I was on a stake boat (my friend's C34!!!) for the practice runs on Tuesday.  Actually enjoyed it, but the TV racing coverage was superb (excerpt for when they went for shots on the boats showing crew moving about - but just as they were coming around marks, which is exactly when they should have been showing the ariel views). 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

Lisa and I and a bunch of family went out on Saturday.  Fleet week (amazing airshow!!!) and then watching the AC Series.  Wow, what a treat!  (but TV give so much better coverage!) I can't recall ever seeing so many boats.  We were, by the way, on our new boat, Rosa Nautica.  She is a 2004 Catalina 400 MKII.  We came up to the bay for a"Bay-cation" and Lisa fell in love with the new boat.  Paradise sold to a nice bunch of fellows, and the new boat comes home to Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks.  (Stu, we'll have to meet up later!)  Unexpected changes, but it sure keeps life interesting.  Hope to come up next year to see more America's Cup.
Scotty

patrice

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Brad Young

I am not that much of a TV watcher. However I did not find any sailing on the TV Channels here in Tucson. Where did you find the races?

Thanks
brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Ralph Masters

Patrice,
That is one wild story, thanks for including it.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

Larry Ellison is pretty well focused on media technology surrounding this event. With people like Stan Honey, a hall of fame sailor, and Emmy winner for his sports broadcasting technology, it is a great show.

The Oracle team pitch-poled their 72 the other day-looked like it wrecked the wing pretty good. As Pithill said in an interview afterward, they "found the limit"
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Clay Greene

I like the NBC coverage but I wish they would leave a wind direction graphic on screen.  For a sailor, it is disorienting not to know where the wind is coming from all the time. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin