kiwi prop

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hi i have a 34 mk11 with a m35bc and i want to install a new propeller like a kiwi prop. Is there somebody has this propeller and what's the size i need and and the best pitch for this 35hp. Thank you very much directly from Montreal 

L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Steve Sayian

Andre,

I have a Kiwi on my '99 MK II C-34.

It's has 15 inch blades and set at about 17 degrees.

You can contact Kiwiprops North America, 39 Royalavon Crescent, Toronto, Ontario.  Phone: 416-237-0777.  Jamie Hallman is the owner and he's very helpfull.  He helped me a couple years ago and I highly recommend him.

Steve

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

andre

Thank you Steve i call him.

John Langford

I had a series of problems (blade damaged in shipment, stopped going into reverse, difficulties in greasing, crack in hub material) with my Kiwi prop and eventaully gave up on it. I have replaced it with a three blade flex-o-fold prop which requires no pitch adjustment, needs no maintenance except an annual polishing, changes direction flawlessly, is heavily built, drives the boat forward more efficiently and definitely helps when sailing in light airs. The only thing I miss is the amazing stopping and reversing ability of the Kiwi prop...when it worked that is.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Clay Greene

Can't speak to the Kiwi prop but I echo the positive comments on the Flexofold.  Works much better under power and a vast improvement under sail plus there is no maintenance and little that could possibly go wrong with it. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

noworries

I've got a kiwi prop on mine. 

This is what his email said mine is: 15.50" ( Nominal = 16" at the tips ) x 21 deg

I'm overpropped.  I can only get about 1900 rpm before it starts smoking.
When I shift into reverse, I have to give it some throttle... at idle the shock of the blades reversing will stall the motor.

I'm happy with it.  Made a big difference under sail.  Price was right.

I'd adjust it but the pre-existing 3-blade prop performed about the same.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

TonyP

No worries

I'd be worried if your engine only gets to 1900 revs.
Thinking the correct prop would serve better.
Just thinking

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

noworries

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I get 6.5-7 knots from 1700-1900 RPM depending on conditions, burning 0.5/gal hour, so I'm hesitant to start "tweaking things".  But my trans needs work, so maybe when the time comes to do that I'll tweak with it then.

Most of the time we just motor out of the slip into the harbor and then shut her down.

I've got some video of my kiwi prop in action if anybody is interested.

Jim Hardesty

First thing to check is the tachometer.  Lots of info searching this site.  Whats your no load max RPM?  That a clue to if your tachometer is off or you are over loaded.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : no says he is (knowingly) overproped!!  So let him be. 

It's his boat!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

noworries

After a quick email exchange with John Blundell at Kiwi Props, I'm going to go through my HX and exhaust first... if it still doesn't get me the results I'm looking for, he suggested I reduce pitch to ~ 19ยบ  ie 2/3rds turn out on each screw.

If you want his contact info let me know.

I don't mind the advice... it's on the list... it's just a long list.

lazybone

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 19, 2012, 02:31:20 PM
Guys : no says he is (knowingly) overproped!!  So let him be. 

It's his boat!!   A thought

Agreed, "no worries"  :?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

andre

noworries i'am interesting about your video of the kiwi in action. Thank you

noworries

Here's the video... I run it forward, then reverse.
http://youtu.be/a7jpW-EqVOE