Shipping a C34 via Truck

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

Well, after 3 short years we are moving DarBay from San Carlos Mexico to San Diego Ca. Due to time constraints we are having her trucked.  :D No Baja Bash for us.

I am looking for advice how to prepare her for the (55mph) windward leg out of mexico.

Thanks
Brad

Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

cmainprize

Prepare the boat like you would for a hurricane, but add taking down the mast to your list.  If it is not bolted down or can flap in the wind take it off, of pack it so it can't move.  Dump the water and waste tanks, and seal your hatches from the outside with some kind of tape.  Tape is a pain to remove later, but at 55 mph water seems to get driven through the seals.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stu Jackson

Brad, the best truck stories IIRC came from Steve Dolling.  Do an advanced search on "truck" by "waterdog" - there are lots of posts.  Instead of just the search box, use the Search in the upper left tabs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Stu, not nice to share my trucking story...

Brad.  Support the mast well.  Furler inside.  Have it wrapped.   Everything off the deck that moves around.  Have everything tied down well inside and be aware that anything metal against woodwork is vulnerable to abrasion.  So put some padding between your dodger frames and floorboards etc. 

Use the good guys out of San Carlos.  Dont try the cheap alternatives.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Brad,
It's a shame you don't have time to do the Bash. I've done it twice(on other boats,not a C34)and it wasn't that bad. You just can't be in a hurry because sometimes you have to wait on weather windows and you will be motoring the whole time unless you want to go way off shore. On my last trip i actually had a great time because I flew down to LaPaz with the owner and sailed around the Lapaz area on his Erickson/Pacific Seacraft 38 while we waited for the other crew man to arrive. Good trip.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

There's another concept called "The Baja Dash" where on sails or motors along the coats from harbor to harbor, although, admittedly, the first leg from Cabo is a LOOOONG one.

I'll find it on my backup portable hard drive later tonight, and see if I can post the PDF of the Cruising World ar5ticle from years and years ago.  I may have already, so search on Baja Dash and see if it's here already.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu,
I remember reading that article. It was excellent and had some great info.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net