Completed Survey Yesterday

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Had the survey on the 1986 I've been looking at.  A couple of issues which I didn't plan on.  Turns out the leak in the holding tank vent stanchion rotted out the internal shelf directly under it, the shelf below that (shelf right above the elec. panel), water traveled to the bulkhead in the head, rotted the lower half of the bulkhead totally, luckily the lower half on the cabin side is fiberglass which is solid.  From the bulkhead, the leak ran onto the L shaped shelf in the head so all that also has to be replaced.  On the good side, hull is solid, engine is in great shape (although needs a good exterior cleaning, deck is pretty solid, and rigging is good.
If things go well, hope to have the boat bought and either trucked or delivered to my marina by next weekend.

Now the only decision is when to tell my wife we have a new boat.  :shock: :shock:

Clay Greene

Congratulations on the good survey results. We had a leak in the same area but it turned out to be a hole in the fiberglass deck because someone had pulled on the stanchion from the deck enough to gouge a hole. Might be worth checking out as you need to stop the water pathway before you fix the damage.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Steve Weiss

Congratulations, looks like you and I will both be getting new/old C-34s around the same time. We've agreed on everything and now it's time for the paperwork.

Do you have a plan for dealing with the water intrusion?

patrice

Congratulation for the new Boat.   :clap

Now, when the boat as arrived to your marina, bring your wife for a ride and bring her to the marina, and do the presentation...   :D

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

Patrice,,
The boat isn't far from my parents house, where we spend X-mas eve.  Was thinking on X-mas morning before we head home, swing by the boat and present it as my Christmas gift for the whole family.  I figure if the kids are there she can't swear at me.

Steve,
Planning on re-bedding the chainplates & stanchions this winter which should stop any of the intrusion we found.  Wating for the full report today. I have to leave before he tested the deck but he sent a quick email yesterday saying the found only a couple of small issues so I thinking the deck is pretty solid.

Ron Hill

meragen : You might want to check the same stanchion on the starboard side, as it could have the same leakage problem.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Ron,
Already checked.  Same problem, minimal damage.  Also looks like the toe rail scupper may have leaked at one time.  Can't really tell if it was patched or it came from the factory that way. 

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mregan on October 12, 2012, 05:40:24 PM
Ron,
Already checked.  Same problem, minimal damage.  Also looks like the toe rail scupper may have leaked at one time.  Can't really tell if it was patched or it came from the factory that way. 

The "hole" is either intact or not.  Inspect it carefully and decide whether or not to install a hose inside or clean it up.  Kinda rare for that to get into the hull though.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."