Kappa vs Doyle

Previous topic - Next topic

SailingJerry

I have a 1990 tall rig. Saved up as it's way past time for new main and 155 furling genoa. I am in City Island in the Bronx. I've narrowed my choics down to Kappa Sails or Doyle. I read many complimentary posts about the Kappa sails but they were from 2007 & 2008. My Doyle experience has been from repair work (the loft is next door to my boatyard). Any suggestions/comments?
Jerry S
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Stu Jackson

Have you considered what many skippers have proposed?  Use a 130 to 135 maximum headsail, you'll get a lot more range from it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailingJerry

I considered a smaller head sail, but in the Long Island Sound we rarely get above 15 knots except in the fall. Summer is usually 5 -10 kts all day, and then a late day SW 10 - 15 for a couple of hours. Even when we take our two week cruise East to Block Island/Newport, we are rarely overpowered. I was watching the America's Cup races yesterday and can only dream about those kind of steady winds. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Joe Holmes

The PO of my boat put Kappa sails on in 2009, and I am very pleased wih them.  The boat was from CT, so after reading these posts I understand why the 155 was selected for the Long Island Sound area. 
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Ron Hill

Jerry : The guys that recommend a 135% genoa are the tall rig people.

Personally I have a standard rig with a 150%.  The head sail is a laminant/ bi-radial cut and with movable genoa cars (from the cockpit) I get great sail shape even if I have to "reef" it.  I plan on getting a new Genoa with the same cut and it will be a 150%.

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Sue Clancy

We used Kappa last year for the headsail on our Catalina 25. They were a pleasure to work with and can really do some nice customization based on how and where you sail. They spent some time talking with us about our sailing conditions and we ended up doing some minor adjustments to allow for better deck clearance of the sail. We got their Reefable jib which gives you some nice marked reef points to allow reefing while maintaining sail shape for those days that we actually do get some stronger winds in the LI sound. Kappa is right across the street from our marina so for us the choice was easy but I would highly recommend them.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

SailingJerry

Glad to hear that about Kappa. That was the feeling I got talking to them. And it helps having the off-season discount. I was out singlehanded today and needed the extra cloth. I think the 150 is the way to go. Thanks for the input.
Jerry

SailingJerry

Ron, I had a biradial laminate on my C&C and loved it. However, this set of sails has to last me a good number of yesrs (college tuition is rearing its head soon) so it's the performance dacron.