Water tanks

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

I am still just getting to know my new (to me) 1990 C34 with the open transom.  One surprise I have found is that there is only 1 water tank.  I see a second inlet near the starboard stern and there are two hoses (fill and vent?) in the rear lazerette underneath this but they are cut.  I am guessing the PO removed the second water tank.  Is this where a second tank usually is?  This is mainly out of curiousity.

Probably not an issue for me.  In ten years I have never used the second water tank in my Catalina 30, although the water tank under the starboard settee seems rather small.  Probably will try it for a year and see how it goes.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

chuck53

My aft tank is behind the aft cabin bulkhead between the aft cabin and lazarette.  You have to remove the bulkhead to get to it.  It's not accessible thru the lazarette, at least it's not on my 87.

Stu Jackson

Greg, that'd be a bummer if he really did that, based on the cut hoses you described.  We use both tanks, the first is usually the aft tank, and when that runs out we switch to the starboard tank, then refill.

If you're not sure of anything, the Manual usually helps, it's in the C34 tech wiki, clock on the link at the top of this page, then scroll down to Manuals.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Greg : If a PO really removed that aft tank that is a SUPER bummer, because he left you with the smaller (28gal) starboard tank and cut the hoses to the larger aft (43gal) tank.

You might want to pull the aft panel in the aft cabin (remove the port side panel first) and see if that tank is actually out of there.  You might still be able to get another tank from Catalina parts if you are interested.

A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Copy of a message from Peggy Hall:

If it's a plastic tank, you can buy an identical replacement from Ronco Plastics.

http://www.ronco-plastics.net/marinetanks.html

Ronco has supplied all the water and waste tanks for Catalina for several decades.  Give 'em the boat year and model and which tank, they should know which is the right one. Buy direct and save the markup Catalina puts on it. 

Btw...they show 400+ tanks in their catalog, but any that are still OEM proprietary won't be there. So depending on the age of your boat, it may or may not be in the catalog. However, that doesn't mean they don't still have the mold and know which one you need.

« Last Edit: 11 November 2010, 14:54:33 by Peggie Hall »    

Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ralph Masters

On Ciao Bella I draw water from the forward tank most of the time.  The aft tank sits higher then the froward tank so I open both valves and run water down to the forward tank to keep it topped up, then only have to fill the aft tank when it is low.  If I hang my head into the aft lazerett I can see the corner of the aft tank and can see the water level in the tank.  This method keeps fresh water moving in both tanks so neither one gets stagnent.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Greg : Rick has a point, but be careful as I don't know if the walk thru transom boats have the same aft tank as the other MK I C34s.  That's why you need to talk to Catalina parts.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

Thanks for all the replies.  I didn't look at the location everyone is describing - it appears it is more hidden than I thought.  It may still be there but with the hoses disconnected.  I will have a look next time I am on the boat.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Dave Spencer

Greg,
I to have a walk through transom and the large water tank is exactly where others described it would be - behind the bulkhead in the aft cabin.  It is easy to see it by accessing the stbd rear hatch.  I use mine sparingly since it adds a lot of weight right at the aft extremity of the boat.  Being in fresh water, I find the stbd tank to be adequate for most of my needs.  When we're cruising, the water lasts longer than the holding tank so I try to carry as little extra fresh water as possible knowing good water is available wherever and whenever I pump out.
I've attached a couple of pictures I took when I had the bulkhead panel off last year.  
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Hardesty

I don't fill the forward tank.  Shamrock is already a bit bow heavy (anchor,chain,windless).  I say this based on "boat feel" and that Lake Erie waves (close and steep) will break over the bow.  And I don't need it.   With the small holding tank, I have to pull into a marina to pump out before using all the aft tank.  It's still hooked up, I wouldn't hesitate to fill it if I felt it would be needed for a extended cruise.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Les Luzar

In the past, I removed the port aft cabin panel, and then tried to remove the back panel, but it was jammed in there so tight I could not remove it. Any tricks to get that aft panel removed? It seemed that the upper side of the panel was jammed tight into that cabin floor lip and I could not budge it out. I was even thinking of cutting it into two pieces. Any ideas to remove that panel would be appreciated.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Clay Greene

On our boat, we need to take the port panel off before we can take the aft panel off.  The port panel is trimmed all the way around so it goes "on top" of the aft panel.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ralph Masters

Jim,
It seems that filling the aft tank would help pull the bow up a bit, it'll set the boat a bit deeper all around but should reduce the bow down attitude.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

Quote from: Les Luzar on October 09, 2012, 09:15:21 AM
In the past, I removed the port aft cabin panel, and then tried to remove the back panel, but it was jammed in there so tight I could not remove it. Any tricks to get that aft panel removed? It seemed that the upper side of the panel was jammed tight into that cabin floor lip and I could not budge it out. I was even thinking of cutting it into two pieces. Any ideas to remove that panel would be appreciated.

I think there iare one or more hidden (gel coated over) screws on that back panel.  There was a thread about it somewhere.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Roger Blake

Les--My panels are tight too...if you pull in the middle, they will come out. What I found, is they will not reinstall...I am going to shave about 1/8" off total (1/16 each side) to reinstall them. But in doing so, I will need to seal the "raw" edges with varnish to ensure it will not swell due to mositure.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414