my other boat the "BRIG NIAGRA"

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Wanted to share this.  The pictures are from John Baker, most were taken wet and cold from the cutter.  I think that's a C34 in pictures 39 54 and 55.  That's me (in the green jacket) on my way up, pictures 33 & 34.
There was 15-20 kn wind (more in gusts).  Have a new sailmaker and he wanted to see the sails working, so all the sail went up anyway. 
A little history.  Next year is the 200th anniversary of the "Battle of Lake Erie" where the US Navy defeated the British Navy for control of Lake Erie.  The Niagara was key.  Lots going on, tall ships festival, etc.  May want to make plans for next summer.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd89/bakerbrig/Niagara%20Oct%2013%20Sail%20from%20Cutter/

"DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP"
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Kevin Henderson

WOW!!! Thats awesome Jim :thumb:

Seeing the contrast from the C34 to the Niagara is dramatic.  I am always amazed at our proud sailing history and the hardship, skill, daring and sacrifice our predecessors made to secure our freedom. 
Of course I'm always stupified at how they kept track of all those lines... I have trouble with a a couple of Halyards and Sheets (of varying color I might add)   :shock: :shock:

BTW... you looked quite salty in those pics.... or is that fresh :?

Thank you for the post!   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau