Transmission Dipstick Washer

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Does anyone know what type / size washer should be used on the Hurth transmission on a 1987 C-34?  I changed my transmission fluid for the first time and filled to the top for winter storage as suggested.  The washer on the dipstick looks like a standard rubber hose washer, and appears to leak.  Can't find reference to the washer in the manual.  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike McDonald

Thanks Stu.  Seems odd, but I'll give it a try without the washer. 
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ed Shankle

Mine has a washer, but it's metal. don't know the size off hand.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

tonywright

Check the engine manual, tranmission section (Page 36 in mine). Filling up the transmission to the top with fluid is only required if you are laying up for 12 months or more. (Even in Canada the winters don't last that long!) 

Conversely, the Hurth Transmission manual specifically warns about overfilling: this can cause leakage at the shaft seals or transmission breather, and also cause the transmission to overheat if operated while overfilled. (I for one would probably forget to lower the level in the spring and quickly be in trouble).

On balance, I leave mine at normal levels during winter - seems a lower risk proposition.
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Mike : There should be an Aluminum crush washer on the dipstick, which is the same washer that is on the drain plug.

Don't have my parts book handy, but it IS listed. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SailingJerry

Topping off the transmission for the winter is low on my list of fun jobs. Does anyone else NOT fill the tranny to the top? Have you had any problems due to not filling it? I am thorough when winterizing, but don't need overkill.
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Ron Hill

Jerry : The manufacturer recommends that the transmission be filled.  This is done to keep the seals moist. 
Look at the angle it is mounted at and you tell me how that fwd seal is going to stay moist if you don't add transmission fluid ??

Ask your PO if your transmission was filled or not during storage, and then you might have your answer?? 

As Stu says "your boat your choice" !!!!
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

I have seen a couple of references to "manufacturer's recommendation", but not sure where folks are finding this. Please give us the reference, rather than suggesting that those of us who do follow the manual are not maintaining our boats properly.

Attached is the relevant section from my manual.  You will note that it says (twice) that (a) filling the transmission is only required for storage over 12 months, and (b) that the main purpose is to prevent corrosion.  I will be happy to provide the other passage if required that warns why you should not use the transmission while filled like that.

Now there are of course a few other suggestions here, like uncoupling the prop shaft flange before removing the boat from the water. Raise hands all who do that, while the haulout crew is waiting!

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Roc

Tony,
I think the reason for uncoupling the shaft is becaues when the boat is on the hard, the hull is not resting in a normal fashion as it is in the water, so the hull might twist or flex somewhat.  That twisted position puts pressure on the shaft and could bend things, thus causing vibration. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Tony : I'd put little credence in uncoupling the drive shaft. 
I have not done that in 25 seasons and don't know of anyone that has!!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I'm with Ron.  If you are flexing the hull of a C34 that much, you are doing something very wrong.  Other brands...could happen.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Tony and Guys : You have a M35BC engine with a ZF10 transmission and Mike (if you haven't noticed ) has  an M25XP with a Hurth 50 transmission.

I see that the recommended lay up for up to 12 months or more is to fill your ZF10 transmission to the top with fluid. I don't have the M25XP manuals anymore, but I always erred on the safe side especially with layup which usually lasted more than 6 months.

For those of you that don't check you engine and transmission oil in the spring and periodically, I'd recommend that your do nothing. That way you don't have to worry about being overfilled.

As Stu says, "your boat your choice".   
Ron, Apache #788