#$!* Kelp- Tips for clearing prop

Previous topic - Next topic

2ndwish

For some reason this summer there has been a large amount of kelp off of So Cal. We have fouled our prop at least 4 times this year (including yesterday). The first sign is A LOT of engine vibration when putting the boat in gear. When this happens, we throttle down, shift into reverse and throttle up, throttle down, go back into forward, the vibration is gone, and there is usually a salad of chopped kelp floating behind the boat.

This reinforces the idea that you should run your engine in gear, every time you use it,  before you need it.

We had this happen at Catalina a few weeks ago and when I dove on the boat afterwards, there was still kelp wrapped around the shaft, even though the vibration was gone. Presumably the reversing action served to cut away just the right parts to leave it mostly balanced. So when it happens, it is worth a look afterwards.

noworries

You might consider keeping a sharper lookout, that kelp patty you just ran over could be a tree next time.

1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

scotty

Also, kelp can get into your engine water intake.  Nasty stuff, that kelp.
Scotty

lazybone

On the Chesapeake it's crab pots that are out to get ya.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

noworries

we get lobster traps from Oct-Mar when it's in season.

Before I sailed I fished, so I've spent a lot of time on the water looking for kelp.

Of course, I've never seen more fish on a paddy then when I sailed past one during a doublehanded race.  I thought about calling the sport guys in but we were in the running to win the race (that changed when the wind shut off where we were at)

1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

Quote from: noworries on October 10, 2012, 09:16:59 AM...but we were in the running to win the race (that changed when the wind shut off where we were...)

Man, and I thought that only happened to me!!! :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."