Removing Older Lewmar Line Clutch

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove this lewmar line clutch without disassembling it?  I can get at the aft screws in the base, but not the forward 2 screws.  I'll try to add a couple of photo's.  I need to remove the clutch and the clutch base in order to remove the long Teak cabin top boards that run fore and aft.  I got the starboard one removed, but it had a newer clutch and was easier to get at the screws.  The base block was a different story.  It appeared to be sealed down with silicone calk.  What a mess!!
Thanks,
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mike, perhaps you've tried this already, but usually there is one (tiny) position of the handle where you can gain access to forward screws.  If not, what's holding them down below?  Many of mine, even through the teak block, have acorn nuts and nuts and washers down below.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

That is how my newer Lewmar clutch came off - rotating the handle part way opened up enough room to get a screwdriver on the bolt head. Or, as Stu suggests, you could try to take the nuts off from below without putting a screwdriver on the bolt head, which may work if they used a lot of caulk. You could then just pull the clutch off.

You might want to consider re-bedding The teak pieces and the clutch with butyl tape instead of silicone. And consider using a Spinlock clutch as a replacement - much better holding ability.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

TonyP

Mike
Yes you can get to the screws. Manipulate the lever as Stu stated. For memory they are machine screws that go into the fibreglass and tapped into a aluminium plate cast into the cabin top. I replaced mine with a Spinlock triple ordered on line, US Ebay for memory and posted down to me cheaper than buying here.
Good luck
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Mike McDonald

Thanks for the ideas.  Unfortunately I couldn't seem to find that "sweet spot" to fit the screwdriver into, in order to reach the screw head.  I'll try again.  I did remove one of the aft screws, and it appeared to be threaded into something in the cabin top.  The screws do have nuts, washers and acorn nuts in the cabin ceiling, but cant seem to push the bolt through after removing them.  I do plan to re-bed with butyl tape when I put things back together.  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : You'll just have to fool around with the clutch lever until you can get at the bolt heads.

After you take the acorn nut off, take a regular nut and screw it on so it is flush with the end of the bolt.  Then tap the nut with a hammer and it should start to come out of the top.  Be sure the lever hasn't moved so the bolt can come up!!
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Thanks everyone.  I got it off today.  I found the way to move the mechanism out of the way to allow access to the screw.  It is a little tricky.  Thanks for your help again. I really appreciate it. I'll have more questions as the project progresses.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario