Marelon Thru hull with Bronze Seacock

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,

I have to replace 3 thru hulls.  The PO has done most of the work (removing the old ones and cleaning) and purchased the new parts.  The thru hulls are marelon while the seacocks are bronze.  I have read that you don't want to mix metals, but I can't find a definative answer if there is any problem mixing marelon and bronze.  The Forespar site does say it is ok to have bronze thru hulls with marelon seacocks, but I am looking at doing the opposite.  Makes sense that it would be ok but wondering what others think.

Thanks, Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ted Pounds

I don't see it as a problem.  You may need to bond (ground) the seacocks to prevent electrolysis, but I'm not sure about that...

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Clay Greene

I would call Forespar and ask them.  They are pretty good about giving technical advice for the use of their products. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Dave Spencer

Greg,
Congratulations on your new boat.  I put bronze seacocks on the marelon through-hulls this year and have had zero problems to date.  It has only been one season and I am in fresh water.  I also bought bronze through-hulls intending to replace the marelon but I took them back since the largest outside diameter of the mushroom or flush mounted bronze seacocks was significantly less than that of the marelon and I didn't want to have to do any work fairing the hull. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

patrice

Hi,
There shouldn't be a problem with this set-up, the issue is when you install two different type of metal together.
This is a plastic type with metal.

My .02 :-)
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~