First look at 1986 C-34 today

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

On first look, the boat looks in pretty good shape.  Needs a good cleaning, re-finishing of exterior teak and the sole at the least needs to be sanded and refinished but probably replaced eventually.  Some of the running rigging is brand new.  Didn't notice any rust or cracks on the standard rigging. Gelcoat looked in great shape.  Only a couple of spider cracks.  Looked at the bottoms of all the lockers.  All appeared to be clean, no water stains or mold.

The engine is a Universal Medalist 25.  There was a serial number? 412934.  Heat x was 2".

There was water in the bilge.  Looked black at first but on closer look, the liquid was clear but there was a black film on the bottom of the bilge.  Don't think it was oil but not sure.  I would think oil would be on the surface.  Also, in the engine bay there was an oil sorbent pad under the oil pan which was clean and dry.

In the cabin on the port and starboard sides, it appears the vented stanchions leaked because the paneling under the galley sheving had been replaced and there were water stains on the shelving right above the dining seating.  On the port side, I could see a drip on the vent fitting going up through the stanchion.  Didn't notice any other staining at the other stanchions.

Broker said the boat had a hard grounding about 5 years ago.  Owner had the boat repaired.  There was a piece of the floor, which sits on one of the bilge stringers which was cracked but the stringer appears to be intact.  Didn't look like it had been repaired.

When we motored away, noticed the boat was tilted bow down while at the mooring.

I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight.

mregan

Engine pic

mregan

Bilge pic, wiring rats nest at base of mast & cracked floor section

PamC

I think my husband and I are your west coast equivalents.  We've been looking at early 34's on the west coast for a bit and currently have  an '87 under contract.  Next Thursday we have our survey & sea trial.  Thanks for your post as now I will pay extra attention to the interior of the galley cabinets, one of the few spots I didn't scrutinize when we viewed the boat a couple of weeks ago.   :think

Best of luck on your search! :thumb:

Ron Hill

mre ; You need to look in the anchorwell - alot of chain could cause a bow down attitude. 
I see you have the origional engine mounts and the starboard fwd look like it is bottomed out!   
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Anchor rode was all rope.  No chain.  Does the engine need to come out to change the mounts or can they be changed one at a time?

efhughes3

The black could be dried oil residue from a past mishap or spillage? The mounts can be replaced without removing the engine. You can use the boom as a lifting point to raise the engine enough to replace the mounts. I believe there is a write up in the wiki on this?
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ron Hill

mre : No you do not have to remove the engine to replace the engine mounts. 
I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes on that very topic back in 1999 /2000. 

Look it up and decide if you are up to the task!?  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Suggest you read the CRITICAL UPGRADES sticky topic.

You NEED to replace the alternator bracket.  It can and will fail catastrophically.  How do I know?  Mine did.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Thanks.
I noticed that the other day after I took the picture.  I forgot to check the traveller bolts and wiring harness while I was on the boat.  I'll have to remember for the survey.

Am I correct in assuming the Medalist 25 is the M25, 21 hp?

Ron Hill

mre : Yes, you have an M25 21hp engine.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

mr, from a search on "weblog", this one is right up your alley:

Steve Lyle was our Technical Editor for a long time

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,663.0.html

It points out what surveyors may or may not know about specific boats.  We've captured a LOT of Steve's issues in the Critical Upgrades topic.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Thanks Stu.  I actually found this yesterday while I was poking around. Good read and very informative. Hoping I won't have half the issues.  Making my offer tomorrow to the broker.  Wish me luck.

Ron Hill

mre : I'll probably get BOOOed over this post, but if my engine looked like the one in your pictures -  I'd cry!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677