Known issues between 1986 and 1989 MK I

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I'm looking at a couple of 1986 and 1989 models.  Are there any known issues that were rectified between the 1986 and 1989 models that would push me to the '89 vs the '86.  I currently have a '78 C-30.  I know that after 1986 they replaced the wood mast block with a solid fiberglass one to prevent compression.  Wondering if there were any production items like this between these years.

Clay Greene

I don't know if it would qualify as an issue to be rectified, but there likely will be a different engine between the two boats, a M25XP in the 1989 versus the M25 in the 1986.  Slightly more horsepower in the M25XP.  Also, I believe the alternator bracket issue (see critical upgrades) is an issue with the M25 engine but not the M25XP.  Some of the 1986 boats were deck-stepped as opposed to the keel-stepped 1989 model.  Again, not so much an issue in the 1986 boat as a difference.  Both boats would have the faulty connectors for the engine harness (again, see critical upgrades) so that is something that would need to be rectified if it has not been done already. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Not many.  The ones I can think of are:

Lewmar ports instead of Becksons on the cabin.  Both have Becksons for the aft cabin.  Becksons are easy to replace or repair.  Lewmars leak, but fixes have been found by the folks on this board.

The engine difference isn't all that much.  2 HP.  The difference between the two engines are simple:  M25XP has the larger 3 inch HX and the corrected alternator bracket, but not something(s) you can't redo, as we have.  By now, we have an M25XP without the 2 HP.   :shock:  3 inch HX and new alternator bracket.  Couldn't tell them apart.

The answer to your basic question of which should you choose?  Condition, condition, condition.  Plus owner's records of maintenance.

Which one do YOU like best?  In those "Golden Olde Dayze" there were hull and deck and trim options, as well as the keel vs. deck stepped option.  It WAS an option.

Happy Hunting.

Any more details you can share, please let us know.  Like, engine hours... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mre : Let me add to Stu's list of differences.

The 1989 C34 comes with a bow roller and has a upgraded electrical system of breakers and GFI circuits. 
On the other hand the 1986 might have a deck stepped mast.
The 2 HP does make a difference especially if you have a hi output alternator.

When you look at the different boats look for the larger batteries, hi output alternator, battery monitor, refrigeration, new dodger/bimini etc. and especially did the owner make mods that look like the factory did them, not done by some local!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 15, 2012, 08:31:53 AM
mre : Let me add to Stu's list of differences.

The 1989 C34 comes with a bow roller and has a upgraded electrical system of breakers and GFI circuits.  
On the other hand the 1986 might have a deck stepped mast.
The 2 HP does make a difference especially if you have a hi output alternator.

When you look at the different boats look for the larger batteries, hi output alternator, battery monitor, refrigeration, new dodger/bimini etc. and especially did the owner make mods that look like the factory did them, not done by some local!

Ron's advice is very, very good.

We have an M25 with a 100A alternator and a completely upgraded electrical system.  The 3/8" belt CAN and does drive the alternator just fine with a Balmar MC-612 external regulator.

I believe that a robust and trustworthy electrical system is the heart of the boat.  An older boat with a great electrical system compared to a newer boat with a questionable and/or factory electrical system is a heavy choice.

You DO have resources, right here on this website and Message Board.

Like these topics:

Critical Upgrades - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.0.html

and

The "101 Topics" - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6437.0.html

Many of us have been VERY happy with the old "toy" bow rollers : http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4457.0.html

Good luck in your search.  Please let us know what your decision is.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Thanks for all the advice and information.  I have 3 I'm planning to look at.  A 1986, 1987, 1989.  I'm hoping to get a chance in the next week to look at them.

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA