Final Phase Info Re Stock Diameter for Replacement Rudder

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry White

My apologies for posting this as a new topic, but as the Company performing the replacement of our rudder has already ordered the new rudder from Catalina, I want to ensure they have as much lead time as possible familiarizing themselves with potential obstacles. As the saying goes, "the Devil is in the details". I note that the new Catalina supplied rudder stock has an O.D. of 2.860"; my measurement of the original rudder stock on Endorfin (1986, C-34 Fin Keel Tall Mast), is 2.75" O.D., (tape measure, not by calipher). I have not seen a reference to difficulties encountered with this discrepancy in the stock OD. The tube that the stock must slide through is fiberglass, so is there sufficient "play" in the tube to accommodate this difference? Or are installers simply reaming out the tube to fit? I'd like to anticipate and deal with the problem in advance if need be. Any observations from those who have gone through the process? Please let me know.

Cheers,

Barry White
S/V Endorfin

Clay Greene

Barry, we replaced our rudder this past spring with a new elliptical rudder from Catalina and the rudder stocks were the same outside diameter.  Both fit very snugly in the rudder tube with no play at all. 

Note however that the inside diameter of the tubes is significantly different.  The new rudders come on stocks that are double walled for strength.  This is not an issue for fit but it does make it very difficult to drill.  We took ours to a metal working shop to have the rudder stock cut down (they are shipped intentionally too long with the plan that they will be customized by the owner to fit your boat) and to have the holes drilled for the quadrant bolt and the bolt that goes through the rudder cap. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Barry White

To Claygr,
Thanks for the confirmation regarding stock diameter. The company doing the install has the setup for drilling etc., but my concern was related to the possible discrepancy in O.D. I now know that it will not be an issue,
Thank You,

Barry