Adler/Barbour Evaporator PT NO Z3311

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

Well this last weekend we just finished our three week vacation onboard, and it seems I did the big Opps on our last day (fortunately on the last day). I wanted an ice cube for my rum, and that vertical tray was frozen to the evaporator. So the knife was handy and I took a few chips out and then suddenly whosh, as freon (or whatever they use these days) came streaming out. Well, I got my ice, but now I'm looking to replace the evaporator!

The part number indicates Z3311, but I can't seem to find JUST the evaporator. All i can find online is the evaporator kit, with hose included, for abpout $500. Expense drink.

Does any one know if you can just source the evaporator unit itself, or does it only come as the full kit for some reason? I know you are all laughing, but the admiral is not too pleased.  :(
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Roger Blake

I would see if someone could repair your "hole" (some sort of welding...think it is aluminum). Then recharge the system. Worth a try.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

lazybone

I think I still have my old system laying around some where?
It was the old R22 system and I am not sure the connections are compatible?
In my case the compressor leaked but if my memory is correct the evaporator was fine.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Fred Koehlmann

Thanks Roger, I've been reading about people susggesting getting their freezer "spot welded", but the aluminum is so thin, I suspect it could burn right through. In other posts, I've read of people recommending epoxy or J-B Weldhttp://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php as a cold welding product. If I do that I still need to get the system recharged, which apparently is not cheap either.

I guess I'll give the marina a call and see if they've had to deal with other people making similiar blunders.

Lazybones: While the unit has a part number of Z3311, I am noticing that online the evaporator seems to match the VD-150 unit (possibly the current model), so I'm not sure what the connections would look like. I can't even see the connections from how the unit is installed. In fact now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I'd disconnect it and reconnect another. It seems to be in the wall the of the fridge box (on the stove side).

Thanks, Fred.

lazybone

Fred, the entire length of copper tubing is hard connected to the evaporator and the connections are made at the compressor.

You didn't mention how old your system is?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Fred Koehlmann

I suspect that the unit is as old as the boat (built 2002), since the PO didn't seem to change much.

If the unit is hard connected to the copper tubing, I guess that means that to replace it, I would need to pull all the tubing an then refeed the new?

karista

Fred

I replaced my Adler Barbour Sytem last fall. I just wanted to replace the Condensor since the Evaporator was in good working condition but was advised by Adler Barbour to not use the existing Condensor as it used a different Freon then they currently use which is R14.
I thought, I could simply evacuate my Freon and recharge it with the R14 currently used, however their Tech absolutely did not endorse this approach, secondly they also changed the Condensor fitting wich accepts the Evaporator tube. So a new current Evaporator will not fit your Condensor fitting and also will have R14 Freon, your 2002 Condensor most likely will have R22 Freon which will be incompatible with new Evoparator R14 Freon. Your best bet is to find a used Evaporator that has the R22 Freon and will also have the correct matching fitting. I ended up replacing the the complete system.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Len

Fred, I would take it out of the boat and try John Daniells or Hooks both on King St. It probably only runs at about 12 PSI. The recharge kit is less than $50 so it won't cost much to try and fix it! You will need a $12 digital kitchen scale to recharge it. You will only need an ounce or two of freon so less than a quarter can. The unit will have a set of couplings that can be disconnected with two wrenches but you have to take care removing and reinstalling it (and both the copper lines), no kinks in the copper.

The weld is the hard part of the job, never used JB Weld before but you won't even need to remove the condenser to try that if it works on aluminum! 

Len Mitchell
S/V CRAZY LEGS
Midland

Dave DeAre

A 2002 A/B system (now owned by Dometic) runs on R134A refrigerant, not freon. R134A is widely available in auto supply stores, however recharging the A/B is tricky, it uses a very small amount at low pressure. A new evaporator will not connect to the 2002 compressor, but a special connection kit will enable this connection. Check Defender Marine for replacement evaporator and connection kit.
To me, the biggest problem in replacing the evaporator is that the copper tubing has a very long run thru a pvc conduit between the evaporator and compressor, the path is not obvious. I would recommend having a professional refrigeration tech, not boatyard guy, visit determine if the aluminum can be repaired and then the system recharged.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Fred Koehlmann

Thanks all for the advice.

Len: I spoke with Fred Hook and they will not repair an aluminum evaporator because of oily residue left inside. I suspect in general that no one would repair them since there is no guarantee that it would hold. However if I were to fix it myself, they would be more than willing to fill/recharge the system, for under $100.

I'm thinking that my course of action will be to repair it myself. Have them charge it in the spring before launch. If it doesn't hold, then look at replacing with a new evaporator.

To repair, I plan to sand the surrounding surface to create "gripable" surface. Clean the surface with acetone to get rid of oil residue. Then apply a cold epoxy (preferable something that is a bit flexable to allow for the expansion and contraction that will occur). I figure I need to make sure that the epoxy goes thru the hole so as to help it hold from the inside as we'll.

Clay Greene

Note to self and family - no chipping ice out of boat freezer!   :shock: :shock: :shock:
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ralph Masters

Note to self, an day late looks like.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Quote from: fkoehlmann on September 26, 2012, 10:51:42 AM
I figure I need to make sure that the epoxy goes thru the hole so as to help it hold from the inside as we'll.

Fred, you might want to be careful about that, so that you don't block the flow of refrigerant through the tubes in the evaporator.

Have you considered trying to fix it this year to find out if it works?  And then, if it doesn't you'll have plenty of time before next year to assemble the new system and get it installed.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

Actually Stu, that does make alot of sense... I guess I have a few other items on my plate and was probably just trying to put it off for  a while. I guess I'll see how things are going after haul-out (i.e. see if the weather holds long enough) and if I get the time to do it this year.

Len

Fred,
It is going to depend on the size of the hole but from what I have heard, JB Weld is just epoxy with metal and perfect for fixing aluminum. It should expand and contract about the same, they use it on aluminum engine parts that heat up and cool down too. Sandpaper and acetone should work. I have never tried JB Weld but apparently its easy to use and you don't need much. If it's just a small hole, try it. If you need a "refrigerant" hose PM me or drive next door and look me up. I believe R 134 is on sale this week for half price at CTC. It wont take very long or a pile of cash to try it.

I will be on the boat this weekend or at least Fri-Sat winterizing, drinking ice cold beer from my repaired and previously scary refrigerator. If it doesn't work, you can always budget for the spring! 
Len
CRAZY LEGS
Midland.