Modifications to mainsheet system

Previous topic - Next topic

alastairjames

A search of the site indicates that several members have undertaken modifications to the standard mainsheet system and I am keen to learn from others' experience.

While we like the clear cockpit for cruising, when racing and shorthanded sailing it would be great to have better mainsheet control from the cockpit.  We have two objectives: mainsheet control without the winch from a position that gives the trimmer a good view of the main (ie not under our difficult-to-remove dodger); and traveller adjustment from the cockpit (maybe that has to stay under the dodger)

Our proposed solutions for the traveller

.  increase the traveller purchase to triples each side, and lead back to cam cleats mounted on the cabin top, rather than on the traveller track;

and for the mainsheet

.  double-end the mainsheet with a new tail leading aft along the boom to a block at the end, then down to a block with camcleat fixed to a removable wire bridle clipped to saddles mounted low each side of the cockpit.  This would allow cleating the mainsheet from forward of the steering pedestal.  With the tail tied off at the aft block and the bridle removed, the cockpit is kept clear and the standard winch control is retained.

I would be interested in how others have solved these problems (and if possible exactly how the sheet is led through the blocks - it seems to me at least a new triple on the traveller, and possibly a double on the boom, will be required).  Does our solution sound practical? - I am happy to listen to those with more experience!

mvazmina

I have done what you are suggesting for the traveller. I worked with Guido at Garhauer to replace the orginal 1986 version.I used turning blocks to bring the line under the dodger and cam cleats located between the winch and companionway. With plenty of line I can move the traveller from behind or next to the wheel.

I am normally a crusier so most of the time this is used to ease the main.

dave davis-707-1988- san

Sounds like you have some good thoughts about changing your mainsheet and traveler. My motivation for making changes allows me to handle the traveller and the mainsheet from behind the wheel.
First of all you have to increase the purchace of your traveller to a 6/1 and leave enough length to handle at the wheel. The cam cleats are mounted on the traveller controll blocks.
As far as the maisheet is concerned. I installed a triple block on the traveller with a ratchet from Lewmar. Garhaurer does not offer a ratchet yet. I replaced the cam cleat that comes with the triple with a Powercleat from Spinlock. It mounts in the same holes, which surprised me, and did not require any new holes.Its much easier to open the Spinlock when there is a big load on it. The other end of the mainsheet is led back to the normal winch position.You will still need the winch for heavy winds.
It works for me. I do not have a dodger to worry about. Good luck...Dave

Jim Price

I know I am "thick" mostof the time...but would it be possible for you to post a couple of photos of your maisheet setup and your traveller.  I am realy more interested in the mainsheet configurationa and the blocks.  Thanks..
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Jim Price

Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

alastairjames

Dave

Your setup sounds as if it might work for us too, if we roll up the 'windscreen' at the front of the dodger to allow the sheet to be cleated and uncleated.  Certainly it would be worth trying before I drill holes and spend money on additional new blocks to install a bridle in the cockpit.

I assume you are still using the three single blocks on the boom - are the angles ok for the sheet to run freely to them from the new triple on the traveller? I was thinking I might need to put a new matching triple on the boom as well.

Thanks for your advice.

Alastair

dave davis-707-1988- san

Alastair, if you will send me your Email address, I will send you and Jim Price the photos of the Mainsheet with the triple block set-up. I have  Jim's Email.I don't know how to send them on this Message Board.
 I would not try to match the boom with the triple block. It would cause bending of the boom. It is much better to distibute the load on the three separate blocks on the boom.
 I do have a computer run that shows the load on the blocks at various wind strenths.That helps select the right blocks by looking at the manufactures save working limits.