Where to find Hood continuous line furler part???

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

When dropping my headsail, the plastic insert(s) which goes into the top of the upper swivel fell out into the drink....as usual. Anybody know where I can find one? Looked everywhere for a diagram so as to refer to it by proper name, but no luck. I know many have upgraded, but this ol gal works just fine. Any help appreciated......

Ron Hill

gwp : You have just lost one or both of your top nylon bearing/s that go into the top of the top furler tube.  These bearings are very important as they protect the head stay from being rubbed/cut by the furling tube!!

If you look in Critical Upgrades you'll see my recent post.  It is an OLD necessary fix, that is so old I couldn't believe hadn't made the Critical Upgrade List.

With that said - I'll look in my attic and see if I just may have a couple of them.  They are about 6 inches long and really only wear on the top one inch - so they'll last many many years.

Don't hold your breath, but if I still have one or two they are yours free for the shipping cost.  
Ron, Apache #788

gwp

Ron.....you just made my day. let me know if you come up with a pair. Would be happy to compensate you. Thx so much for your help!

Ron Hill

gwp : Would you believe that you are in luck.  I have a used pair (still servicable).  Give me a telephone (540-891-5297) call with your address and I'll get them to you.

I'm getting ready to leave tomorrow for a 6 week sailing trip.  Presently holding up because of the reminants of Issac.   :D 
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Gary : The upper bearing is on the way via USPS.

I also just happened to find another upper bearing and a lower bearing (looks like a doughnut) for a
Hood 915 furler.
Ron, Apache #788

gwp

Wife advises parts arrived today just in time to go sailing with incoming family this weekend. Ron.....you are a Godsend as is this remarkable site and the  whole family of members. If you dont yet have check it will be forthcoming

gwp

Ron.....think I didn't communicate very well. The part I lost slides into the top of the upper swivel. I attached a pic which hopefully will display. The part you sent I think slides into the top of the furler extrusion tube. Is this part difficult to find? Thx.....gary

Ron Hill

Gary : My mistake, I know what you are talking about now. 

The "plastic pieces" are the race that the ball bearings set in.  What you need is a new double swiveling piece or you might be able to contact Hood and see if they can rebuild your upper bearing assembly??

You can check with Hood, but let me mention that Hood will also give you (as a Hood owner) a deep discount on a new Hood furling unit.  I'd recommend that you go for the new unit as it's time for you to inspect your head stay and about 24 years wear on your 915 is close to it's life expentantcy!! 
I went for a new unit(see my Mainsheet Tech Note article) a few years ago.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pablosgirl

Hi gwp,
I might have the double swivel you need.  I will extend the same offer as Ron did.  Ron, this is the same swivel you sent me. Is this the one that gwp needs?  If so, I will send it to him for the shipping cost as you were so kind to do for me.  I was able to repair my own and kept the one you sent as a spare. But, if gap needs it to get up in running, I will gladly send it.  I am on the boat now and will return home Tuesday.
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

gwp

Paul,  I am attempting to attach a picture to avoid any confusion but having trouble resizing. I really do appreciate your offer. If picture doesn't display I'll keep trying. My email is  gwpeaden@hotmail.com if you'd rather communicate that way. Thx again....gary

Ron Hill

GARY :YES, YOU NEED the SWIVEL THAT I SENT TO PAUL!!

GUESS IT WILL ALL WORK OUT !!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Hi everyone,
I guess this is the year for Hood Furling problems.  I just took my mast down on Thursday and found that 1/2 of the plastic piece in the very top of the furling extrusion is missing.  This is the part that the cable passes through at the very top.  One side is still there.  I'm not sure if this is the same part you are talking about, but I am looking for one as well.  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

pablosgirl

Hi gap,
Just reply to my email with your address and I will get in the mail Tuesday.
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

gwp

well, what do you know....I've got the opportunity to help someone finally. mike....just email me at gwpeaden@hotmail.com and provide your address and I'll send out to you for shipping cost. The post office is gonna be back in the black when all this is done. Paul....hope you got my email message??????

Mike McDonald

GWP,
I sent you and email (my first one didn't go through).  I attached a photo for reference.  I'll attach it here as well.  I really appreciate your help on this.  I hope this is the part you have.  It is the split bearing located at the very top of the Furling extrusion at the top of the mast.  I hope the photo helps.  Thanks. 
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario