Temporary Shaft Zinc solution

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

I thought I'd share a problem and solution discovered on our annual summer cruise last week.  7 days out and sailing from Edgartown to Lake Tashmoo, Martha's Vineyard, the wind died so I started the engine and noticed an awful rumbling noise only when the boat was in gear, worse at higher speed.  We made and unscheduled left turn  and motored slowly into Vineyard Haven, grabbed a mooring in the outer harbor and I dove down to find my shaft Zinc was being held on by only one screw, the other gone despite good screw holes on  each half.  In my hardware box I had only one appropriately sized screw and nut and working on this one breath hold at a time was very difficult and stressful, more so when I dropped the nut!  A call to the local WM Express revealed they didn't have a replacement zinc in stock.  After some serious head scratching, I came up with the idea of using a hose clamp.  It took about 15-20 dives but by the time I was done I had the zinc very tightly held to the shaft.  Back home a week later with at least 10 hours of motoring in between, I dove again today and it still feels solid.  I plan to keep the boat in the water another month so I might just keep checking on it rather than hiring a diver to replace it.   This same thing happened to me 2 years ago on my last day of the season, discovered on pulling the boat.  A friend suggested that next year I replace the nut that comes with the zinc with a Nylock or use Loctite Blue for addeded security.
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Ron Hill

Brian : Ever sense I had the same situation I believe what is printed on the Zn instructions.

Hit the Zn with a hammer, tighten, then rotate hit with a hammer again and re-tighten the Zn again.  Do that a couple of times.  Also always get a Zn with a copper BB in the inside for a better electrical connection.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788