Need Sail Brand Recommendation

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

I may be in need of a new sail for my '86 soon but I'm not sure who to buy from(I'm in So. Cal.).  A friend recommended "National Sails", who appear very price competitive, but they are in Florida.  If I have a service issue, my boat will be "dead in the water" for days or weeks if the sail is getting serviced out of state.  There is a Doyle Sails and a North Sails loft near where I live.  I'd like the board's input on Doyle vs. North, or any other recommendations.  Thanks everyone.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Kevin Henderson

Mark,
Take a look at the thread I started regarding my search for a new mainsail.  I think you have an Ullman loft near you.  If they are anything like the folks down here you will be very very happy.  Great deal if you pre-order now. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

sail4dale

You might talk to Steve Dair ...Dair Sails in Torrance 310 619 7245  He reps Elliot Patterson sails  Good guy sells and repairs sails.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

karista

I previously ordered a 150 headsail From National Supply. I provided them the exact dimensions as well as Spreader Patch location.
Their sails are made overseas. I was pleased with the quality and performance and it was made to my exact dimensions. I inquired about potential warranty support, they use a loft in Sarasota to do their warranty repairs. Since this is only a one hour drive for me it was not a concern, and I have not needed any repairs. :thumb:
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

sselinger

In my opinion, the local service is very important. For both a cruiser and a racer you will have times which you need quick repairs. Having a local loft which gives you good service is "worth" a lot. Most of the main brands are about equal in cost, depending on the materials and options you want. I would recommend you ask your local sailors and see who they like. I have found that the people are more important then the brand name.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Les Luzar

I agree with Steve, that staying local is very important for service and support, and quick repairs (that you will need at some point). If you have to ship your sail accross the country for repairs, not only is it expensive but it takes time, and it will affect your sailing time! It is much easier to put your sail in your car and drop it off at your sail loft.  :thumb:
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Kevin Henderson

Quote from: Les Luzar on August 24, 2012, 05:06:36 PM
I agree with Steve, that staying local is very important for service and support, and quick repairs (that you will need at some point). If you have to ship your sail accross the country for repairs, not only is it expensive but it takes time, and it will affect your sailing time! It is much easier to put your sail in your car and drop it off at your sail loft.  :thumb:

Case in point:  Last year when I ordered ny Genoa from Ullman Sails here in San Diego.  They accidently made the sail with a white U/V cover instead of blue as ordered.  Without blinking an eye, even before picking the sail up, they were sewing a new U/V cover.  1 week later I had a spiffy new sail exactly as ordered and couldnt be happier.
Also... before I ordered that sail, they performed a nice little stitch job on my old sail to get me through the winter.
Stay Local!!   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jim Hardesty

Don't forget to check with Catalina, they sent me an email about some surplus sail inventory that they were discounting.  I think that OEM Catalina sails are better than most OEM sails.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scotty

You asked about Doyle vs. North.  Both make great sails.  If the lofts are local (as you say they are) and you get a good feel for the people there, and they are price competitive, they should also be a good choice.  I'm up in N.Cal, so I do not have personal knowledge about the lofts in your area.
Scotty

Ron Hill

Mark : I haven't purchased sails for a number of years, but here's what I did last time.

Make a list of the specs that you want in a sail - i.e. type material & weight, number of reefs, leach line?, loose foot?, full batten?, sewn slides? bat cars?, sail insignia, sail numbers etc etc.

Send these specs to 5 sail lofts and get a price.  If you don't have the same specs to each one you'll be comparing apples to oranges!!

It worked for me - a thought.  Good hunting
Ron, Apache #788

yonar

Once you get your specs together try

T & A Sails
222 W D St.
Wilmington, CA 90744
(310) 518-2841

I used them. Very reasonable, and satisfied.
Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA

Ralph Masters

Ciao Bella has sails from FX.  Dacron I believe.  Very nice sails, not the lightest in the world but nice.  Full batten on top and 3 partials.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Chuck.Philips

I've had great luck with the Ullman sails loft in Newport.  Most recently I've been working with Keith Magnussen on an asymetrical for my Mark II.  In fact, they have a 30 per cent off deal if you order before 9/15.
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Ron Volk

Chuck,

Just had Keith down to the boat last Friday to do the final measurements on our boat for a new main using the Sept. 15th, 30% off deal for a spring delivery.  Also have had one of my 155's worked on there, seem to be good people.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Kevin Henderson

I was ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a new Mainsail this month to take advantage of the pre order sale price with Ullman Sails.  Surprisingly :shock: :shock:  Sean at Ullman told me I could get another year out of my sail if I wanted to wait  :shock: :shock: :shock:
Although I had already budgeted for the new sail and was eager to have  a pretty white one to match my Genoa, I decided to wait and spend some $$ on some other goodies for the boat.
Ullman could have easily sold me the new sail and I would have been happy.  But, to their credit, advised me not to waste money just for want of a new sail.
I gaurantee I'll be back to see the folks at Ullman for my new Mainsail this time next year.

Now :think :think   What to do with those extra sailing dollars?

Next stop... WM, Catalina Direct, Home Depot, and maybe Dairy Queen :D    :abd:
~Henry David Thoreau