Front hatch perspex replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

alastairjames

We are just about through our first year with a 1991 model, and are gradually getting down the list of projects.

We have a very crazed front hatch. I know there has been some discussion of hatch replacement, but is it possible to replace just the perspex?

The Lewmar distributor here in Sydney says that it is not possible to get a replacement lid for the hatch (no longer manufactured), and replacement of the perspex only is not advised because the factory bonding system is critical to its structural integrity.

Do we have any alternative to living with a crazed hatch or a replacement of the complete hatch?  Grateful for all suggestions.

jentine

I took my hatch to a local glazier and he replaced the plastic.  He did not mention any problems with the replacement.  Lewmar won't replace the plastic and they won't give any information on how to do it.  Do you suppose that is an attempt to sell new hatches???????????
Jim Kane

alastairjames

Thanks for your comments, guys.  

I have found the reference to Select Plastics of Norwalk.  It may be a little impractical for us to send him the hatch lid from Sydney Australia, but maybe he can pass on some advice on how to replace the acrylic.  Does anyone know of an email address for him?  If not I can call him.

Further investigation shows that the hatch lid frame has been bent down about 5 mm (1/4 in) on the aft edge by the lid having been forced back against the deck.  Has anyone had experience of straightening this frame?  I fear that replacement of the acrylic may be difficult unless the frame is true.

All suggestions gratefully received.

alastairjames

Ron

Thanks for your thoughts about straightening the lid frame.

Yes, we have acrylic suppliers here in Sydney (We replaced the main cabin windows on our previous boat).  I am interested in any tips on:

.  how to remove the old acrylic as the bonding to the frame is clearly very strong
.  what to use to bond the new acrylic into the frame
.  any special surface preparation required to ensure a good bond

Any contributions?

Alastair (Moonshadow)