Rotted Sole

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Any ideas of what to look for that would cause this type of rot in the sole.  Was looking at a 1986 34 on a brokers site.  There was mention the sole needed replacing and this picture was attached.
I'm thinking the mast boot was leaking so maybe I should check the deck to see if the core is wet?

Sorry, can't get the picture to pop up.  It's linked below.  Thanks.

prh77

Frankly, given the condition of the sole, the corroded table base, and the black lagoon that is that bilge, I would take a long hard look at this vessel. Even a bargain basement price can bite you in the a^^  when it comes to neglect by a PO. Just my 2 cents.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ron Hill

mr : It looks like the packing gland kept dripping and the bilge pump didn't keep the salt water from overflowing the bilge!!

I agree with prh.  You're going to have problems with not only the sole, but all of the wiring that was under water also - ie. all of the wires that go up the mast and maybe the instrument wires and other wires that go along the underside of the sole.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Thanks.  That's the kind of information I was looking for.  The boat is fairly inexpensive and I'm assuming there is a reason for it.  They are asking $24,000.  It's been on the hard for 2-3 years.  I plan on a taking a thorough look and do my homework before making any decisions.  I have a C-30 now so there's no rush to buy anything.  If it looks worth it, I'll get it surveyed and then make a decision.  If it's structurally sound, engine runs, and no major wet spots in the deck, I can probably handle the rest of repairs myself.
I'll post an update once I get around to taking a look.

Jim Hardesty

I see you are in RI.  Freezing winters.   Could be a lot of damage from the water in the boat freezing.  Try to see where the high water line was and go down from there.  Does it look like the boat was winterized properly?  I'm guessing the boat is out of the water, check the hull to keel seam and the shaft log.  Also look for leaks at the chain plates.  Look and think a lot before you invest in the survey.  Will the boat yard let you do DIY work? 
Bringing back a neglected boat (for me) is a rewarding pasttime.  Just go into it knowing the cost of boat parts, and the time investment necessary.  I say this because I've seen a lot of bargain boats bought, a lot of money spent, a lot of time invested, only to sold again to go through another cycle. 
Best of luck with your decision.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ralph Masters

Just knowing it's been on the hard for two years and has water in it like that you have to inspect everything very carefully.  Water tanks and sewer tank for freezing damage, engine cooling system for freezing damage, fuel tank for water, electrical.  $24,000 is way too high in my opinon.

Just a few thoughts from some one who bought a boat in really good condition, and has spent far too much repairing little things,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

My guess is the water entered via the mast meaning it was freshwater which caused the rot.  All the wiring below floor level should be suspect too. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

mr : Just pray and hope that Ted is correct and it is rain water NOT salt water damage.

A bunch of thoughts!
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

I called the broker today to inquire.  I asked if he knew how the floor got damaged.  He said no but said everything else works fine and with a new sole and a little elbow grease, $22,000 would get me a nice boat.  I was thinking in the back of my mind "... maybe $12,000, a lot of elbow grease, and $10,000 in repairs will get me a nice boat".

If the boats been on the hard for 2 years, how would I be able to test the engine to see if it works? I don't have any experience with diesels, my C-30 has an Atomic 4 gas engine.  In my A4, I can pour a little gas in the carb & get it fired up for a minute when I have the fuel shut off for the winter.  Is there a way to do this with a diesel? 

It got me thinking after talking to the broker.  I know the broker works for the seller but do they have to disclose any known issues with the boat or is it up to the buyer and surveyor to find the issues.  I know a real estate agent is legally bound to admit any known issues when selling a house.

Ron Hill

mr : Most of the brokers don't know crap about the boat!!  They just will not tell you they just barely know one end of a C34 from the other end.

Just one item - You can run the engine on land, but before you screw up all of the filters/fuel system by starting the engine - how full is the fuel tank as I doubt it is full up.

Elbow grease in one thing, but it sounds like a bummer to me and years of work.  My thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

I know, it definitely sounds like a project.  In a couple of weeks I plan to take a good hard look at it, probably spend a couple of hours at it pulling everything apart, take a bunch of pictures, and come back here to pick your brains.  If it looks like too much work or too many issues I'll pass.  If it's just the sole and some cosmetic issues or small leaks, I may give it a go. 

I don't really need a new boat.  My C-30 runs well and is in great shape but I'd like to have a bit more room in the cockpit and below which the 34 would give me.  Is the aft berth usable in the summer months or does it get too hot/stuffy to sleep.  It doesn't appear to have too much ventilation but I'm just going by pictures I've seen of the 34.  The kids are getting older and we want to start bringing some of their friends on overnights with us.  With the 4 of us it's pretty tight at night, we could probably fit one more kid and still be alright.  I'm figuring with a 34, 2 in the v-berth, 2-in the aft and 2-on the dining berth.

scotty

I've owned 8 boats (my parents owned as many while I was growing up).  I've built two boats, rebuilt several others.  In that time I've discovered that boat projects cost money.  Take a good look at the boat, if you love it, go for it ... but it might be actually cheaper to buy a more expensive boat if it is in better shape.  If you get serious about this project it might help to write down all the jobs that need to be done to get it into shape and then spend a bunch of time on the computer pricing it out.  I'm always amazed at how fast I can spend boat bucks.  I had two "project" boats (a 26' lifeboat conversion and an Islander 30); I loved them both and they both turned out really well so no regrets - but lots of time and money.  By the way, the Catalina 34 is a great boat for the uses you've described.  I also owned a Catalina 30, and find that the 34 is a big improvement for my wife and I, the kids and the grandkids.  Best of luck to ya!
Scotty

Ron Hill

mr : To shoot us back a bunch of picture is a disservice to yourself and really puts us on the spot with very little information to make a judgement on.

The only way you are really going to find out "what's ahead" for you with that boat is to get it in the water and charter it for a week.

My thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Ron
Not my intention to put anyone on the spot.  Just hoping if I found some problems I could get some advice on what I may be in for for repairs from someone who had gone through it before.

MarkT

We bought our C34 for exactly the reasons you are listing. More space for teenage kids.
I couldn't be happier with the boat. The layout is great for the kids. My two teenage girls have the aft cabin and we have the Vee berth.
My son gets the main cabin.

We bought a 1987 vintage boat with quite a number of failings, (it was in our price range).  One way and another we have had to do quite a number of things.
New Battery, cable from A/B switch to Starter, new genoa, Raw water and circulating pump, leaks, new interior lights, various running rigging items, clean injectors, restitching of canvas. Chase down electrical faults, replace wiring to engine panel (remove the molded plug connectors), sand blast and epoxy barrier coat bottom.
This was all for a boat that looked to be in ok condition but hadn't been used that much in the last few years.

Getting the engine so we could trust it was the most important thing.
Unless it is going to be a labor of love I'd be careful about buying a "project"
My $0.02  and in the end it comes down to what skills you have, how far you live from the boat, what time and budget you have for repairs. And if you like this sort of project.

Best of luck.

Mark Tamblyn