sail warehouse vs. North Sail vs. UK sails what's the differ

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster

I am deciding which company to go with the Sail Warehouse is less money, all I do is non-competitive cruising and day sailing.  Just want a good reliable sail that will last.  I live in San Diego with light to medium air.  I was thinking of a Gennekker at 1.5 nylon.  Anybody have any experience with Sail Warehouse, etc.  Thanks.

Bill Sedgwick

I have received good support from UK and Ullman here in San Diego but know that North and Quantum both also have good people and products. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the local lofts.

I bought a .75 oz, tri-radial asymetrical chute from UK 3 yrs ago and I believe is fine for San Diego weather conditions. If you have a 155 genoa, you probably should consider the lighter chute. BTW, dealing with a sailmaker gives you someone to ask questions like this and has an interest in your future business. Happy Sailing!
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

rirvine

The service one get depends on the people in the particualr loft. I have found it usefull to pick a loft and work with them for all one's needs.  You get to know them and they get to know you.  If you just want a "sail" for good price then Sailwarehouse is OK. I think their sails are made in Thailand so do not expect any special attention..

beang

We went with a three quarter oz. G2 Gennaker from North.  Their sail had the most girth which should allow it to sail a bit deeper than other brands.  When researching headsails, I thought that Sail Warehouse's quality wasn't up to par with their more expensive competition.  The question is "how good is good enough?"  For me, I needed a sail that could stand up to the harsher conditions on SF Bay.  If you're not racing, why the heavier cloth?  The top AWS for the .75oz G2 is 15kts.  The heavier 1.5oz cloth only increased it 5kts.  The heavier cloth will also make the sail harder to keep filled in light airs.  A local loft will be able to work with you to get the most appropriate design for you and your local conditions.

George Bean
Freya 1476