New Mainsail

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

The local Ullman Sails loft has a special sale till September 15 where I can get 30% off a new mainsail if I order the sail now for delivery in March.  I did this last year for my Genoa and was very happy.  I am considering ordering the Ullman Custom Axis Laminate (CAL) sail.  I'm not looking for a lot of custom extras and the standard sail seems to have all the important features I would need.  However, the one question I would like to ask is this:  The standard sail comes with 2 full battens and 2-4 tapered battens.  Should I go with the standard or pay for the optional full battens on the main.  I think I remember somewhere that the Full batten main makes the sail a little easier to flake when dousing.
As always.. thoughts and suggestions very welcome.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

noworries

How much will that main end up costing you?

The main on our boat is about 10 years old.  It's from T&A sails in Wilmington.  It's pretty heavy duty, triple stitched, one reef point.

We bought a new 155 genoa from Hyde Sails (local guy, Harry O).  He looked at our main and said it was blown.  It had 4 battens, the top one was full, but it was broke at the car.  I didn't want to drop the cash on a new main, so he fixed the top batten, and made the next two full battens, which helped a lot.  We should have had the bottom batten done too, but bang for the buck it was a good deal.

Hope that info helps.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Kevin Henderson

DOH!!! :nail
Thats what I get for getting up at 0500 excited about a new sail and posting in the forum.... BEFORE doing a search on the subject. 
(Although I would still like to hear comments amount a full batten sail without a Batcar system and with Lazy Jacks.

NOWORRIES - Here's the details:

The write up from Ullman -
CAL (custom axis laminate) Endurance Mainsail which is similar in weight to Dacron. CAL sails are made up of seven layers and are very durable and low-stretch, making them higher performance cruising sails.

The retail price for a CAL main on my boat is $3,334.00, but with the Spring Delivery sale it will be $2,334.00 with two rows of reefs and two full battens.

Standard Features - 2 Full reefs, 2 full battens, headboard, bolt rope or standard slides, semicircle reenforcements at all slide locations, luff box for all full battens, stainles steel rings, leech line, cunningham, tell taile and draft stripes.
Options - 3rd reef, Full Battens, sail numbers, grey taffeta.

I don't know if I have to pay extra for a catalina 34 emblem... since I WOULD want one.   :abd:

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

cmainprize

Your Right, the full battens will make it easier to douse the sail.  Especially with some sort of lazy jack or stack pack system.  I belive the 2 +2 system of battens ( 2 full 2 sort) will allow to better shape the sail if you are really into tweaking for best shape and speed.  But the full batten set up can be a set it and forget sail and will be more forgiving without having to make adjustments. 

2300 for a high tech sail from a good company seems like a good price.  We have ullman sails as well (dacron and fiberline) and they are excellant.

Have fun shopping!
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ken Juul

I currently have 4 full battens.  The sail is old, I bought it used, the battens really help with sail shape.  Unless the sail is raised, the battens like to rest on one side of the mast or the other depending on how I have flaked.  The movement of the boom in waves leaves shiny spots on the un painted mast where the battens are touching.  My next main will have bat cars for sure.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

noworries

That seems like a good price for a high tech sail.  The quote I got was $500-$600 cheaper but would have been dacron.  You typically have to pay for the emblems (especially since it looks like you're paying for sail numbers)

If you want my guys info let me know.  He's with Hyde, and works all of socal.  Good guy.  But I'd probably go with the matching set if it was me.

I've got a dutchman, but with lazy jacks you just have to watch it going up and coming down.  If your helmsman pays attention they can keep the battens out of the jacks.  I don't have bat cars, just the typicaly reinforced batten holders on slides.  They work fine.

@Ken raising the main would help that problem too, but if you're on a mooring you should be able to lock your boom down.  When we put the boat away we travel the boom over to starboard (we board to port), attach the main halyard to the end of the boom, blow the main sheet, haul the boom up with the main halyard, then harden the main sheet.  It's out of the way and it doesn't move (much).

1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Steve Sayian

I bought a new main this spring from a local guy with: 8.5 oz Dacron (Bainbridge cloth) extended roach mainsail.  2 full top battens, 2 partials on bottom.  Loose footed, one reef point, Cunningham, numbers and C-34 insignia. 'Lazy bag' for furling with lazy jacks (4 per side) for $3140.00 + Mass State tax (6.25%) = $3336.25.

Works very well! Excellent performance with extended roach.  'Lazy bag" is the best thing I ever had.  Dump the sail, flake it and zip the bag. Takes about 2 mins.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

efhughes3

Kevin, we've got full battens and lazy jacks, no Batcars. It works fine. Would Batcars make raising, and lowering easier? I'm sure they would, but I don't know I could justify the costs, considering I've no gripes now.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ron Hill

I've also have 4 full battens, no batcars. leach line, 2 reefs and sewn in slides.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Thanks everyone... I think I'll go full batten.
Can't wait for delivery in March :clap

On another note for consideration. 

What are thoughts on a stackpak?   Or should I just stay with my conventional cover?
~Henry David Thoreau

Ken Juul

Noworries, thanks for the input.  I do all that except using the halyard as a topping lift backup.  Unless the sheet is really cranked on, there is still some movement.  I don't think that tight at rest is good for everything.

I just did a search on Batcars.  I thought they just replaced the sliding lug at the batton pockets.  My sailmaker mislead me.  I too think replacing the lugs with a track system is way too much money for what you get.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Volk

Kevin,

Thanks for the info on the discount with Ullman by Sept. 15th.  I have used their loft in Santa Ana before to work on one of my 150's.  I called them and they have the same discount as the SD loft. I believe I will get the same sail except that I will go with the two full battens and and be loose footed.  I have no idea how old the main I have is, but even with 4 full battens it takes a lot of work to get it to set properly, time for a new one. The price is $100 more as I have a tall rig.

Thanks for the post.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA