Charging with Honda 1000

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

What's more dangerous?

Storing unvented propane or unvented gasoline in a boat?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Gee, I don't know which is more dangerous but the fact is that their both dangerous and you don't want to do either one!
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

tonywright

Agree they are both dangerous, but propane is more so because the gas is heavier than air. Normal ventialtion (opening a locker hatch or opening the companonway) will help quickly dissipate gas fumes, but propane will sit in the bilge waiting for a spark.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Stu Jackson

Quote from: lazybone on September 13, 2012, 09:58:21 AM
What's more dangerous?

Storing unvented propane or gasoline in a boat?

Can't figure out whether this is a serious question or a joke.  Really.

Unvented propane?  C'mon.  The boxes have to have drains (vents) or you have an incorrect installation.

Gasoline?  I stored a gallon and a half of gasoline in our dinghy outboard engine's fuel tank for three months.  Admittedly, it doesn't get that hot around here, but I did take it up to the Calfornia Delta (90 degrees) in the port locker.

I had a C22 with gas, and the tank lived in the port locker inside.  I had a C25 with gas, the tank was in the essentially open cockpit locker to port.  I carefully closed the vent on the tanks when I left the boat.  Thousands of boats have Atomic 4s with gas.

We have CNG on our C34.  Wished I had propane.  But there's a chandlery three blocks from my boat that swaps out the CNG tanks and it isn't worth switching over.  But I always assure that the tank is off and the line drained by opening one of the burners before I leave the boat.

Things go BOOM because of two things: carelessness or accidents (material failures).

I think there are a lot more dangerous things that go along with boating than gas or stove fuel.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

OK back to my original question, about the Honda 1000 in hesitation when charging batteries, I have a Pro Tech 4 1230 on board charger, I just called Protech and talked to a very knowledgeable technician who said my pro tech will require up to 7.8 amps from my Honda 1000 to charge the batteries, in that I let my batteries fall to 50% of charge, (that one time) the Honda 1000 probably couldn't do it. He suggested not letting the batteries fall below 80% or so if I wanted to use the Honda for that purpose.  Makes sense to me as I have used the Honda before with no trouble.
I asked him how he arrived at 7.8 amps, He said he multiplied 14.6 volts times 30 amps divided by 110 volts, this equals 3.9 which he then doubled for inherent losses. hence the 7.8 amps, he had a bunch of inherent loss explanations but I don't remember them all.  SO, it appears my Honda is running OK, but at 50% battery level, I am simply asking it to do to much.

Thank you, was going to bring my old post up on this and was pleasantly surprised it was already at the top. and I sure learned a lot about overhauls and gasoline and propane fumes from my post.  all the fun stuff that gets generated on this great board.  Thanks everyone now if I can figure out how to install a dedicated radio music speaker on the bow I would be content.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

tonywright

Well, I use a 40 amp charger, and if you follow my procedure the Honda 1000 can handle it fine. As a recap: Turn off ECO mode for the first 30 mins, until the batteries have absorbed the initial bulk charge. Aftter those 30 minutes, you can turn ECO mode back on, and it should be fine.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

lazybone

Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 13, 2012, 10:35:45 AM
Quote from: lazybone on September 13, 2012, 09:58:21 AM
What's more dangerous?

Storing unvented propane or gasoline in a boat?

Can't figure out whether this is a serious question or a joke.  Really.

Unvented propane?  C'mon.  The boxes have to have drains (vents) or you have an incorrect installation.

Gasoline?  I stored a gallon and a half of gasoline in our dinghy outboard engine's fuel tank for three months.  Admittedly, it doesn't get that hot around here, but I did take it up to the Calfornia Delta (90 degrees) in the port locker.

I had a C22 with gas, and the tank lived in the port locker inside.  I had a C25 with gas, the tank was in the essentially open cockpit locker to port.  I carefully closed the vent on the tanks when I left the boat.  Thousands of boats have Atomic 4s with gas.

We have CNG on our C34.  Wished I had propane.  But there's a chandlery three blocks from my boat that swaps out the CNG tanks and it isn't worth switching over.  But I always assure that the tank is off and the line drained by opening one of the burners before I leave the boat.

Things go BOOM because of two things: carelessness or accidents (material failures).

I think there are a lot more dangerous things that go along with boating than gas or stove fuel.

Stu you should know better.
Storing gasoline within your boat in any container not approved and engineered for on board use is just asking for misery.

Those small engines have flimsy tanks, fuel lines, clamps, and many plastic bits just waiting until you turn your head.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Aldo,

Plastic bits?  Nawh.  I replaced all those with hose clamps.  And also replaced the hose/tank connector.  New safety hose and a new bulb after a number of years.

I really believe that storing a small amount of gasoline, properly contained, is not as much as a big issue as people have portrayed it to be.

Our "new" tank is a 3 gallon dinghy transom mount.  When the season is over, we bring it home, pour what's left in the car and leave it empty until the following season.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Super.   :thumb:

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Aldo : I'm sure you store your lawnmower gas can in your garage inside a metal storage container?!!?
On your boat, You also probably stopped carrying anything 80/100 proof because of it's volatility!!  

I know what the safety rules are. Personally I accept the hazard of gasoline (don't like to, but have to) as there is no option unless my boat looks like a gypsy with all that stuff strapped to the top side.  
As mentioned before you should run your blower if you are carrying gasoline onboard.   thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

bayates

We are a MKII and use the port locker.  We have a plastic bin it and all the accessories fit in and it slides all the way forward out of the way.  We use the rest of the space to store our dive gear and othe midc stuff.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA