Fresh Water Plumbing Diagram for MK-I

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Previous owner made a number of changes to the plumbing on my 1987 boat. For instance, the stern water tank was redirected from under the galley sink to supply only the toilet, and neither of the sinks. both sinks are supplied from the starboard tank only. I'll then need to know how to plumb the lake water from one of the sea cocks under the sink in the head to the toilet. I would also like to know if the rest of the plumbing under the galley sink is correct.  It seems to function properly from the starboard tank.  I also have an ice box with a foot pump that is tied to the galley sink drain line. It works, but some of the water tends to run back into the ice box after pumping if I don't close the in-line ball valve quickly enough.  I would like to tie the 2 fresh water tanks together with the best shut off valve arrangements possible.  If someone happens to have a good diagram, that would be very helpful.  The diagram in the manual is not terribly detailed. If not, I would appreciate any advice before I begin the project.  I have already emptied the tanks to get ready to winterize, but would like to straighten out the water lines first.  I also have some questions on winterizing, but I'll put that in another post.  Thanks.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : There is a Mainsheet article written by Dave Ewing about 1996/7 on the way he installed a water manifold. 
The owners manual does give the basics on your boats "factory" plumbing!

Anytime you tend to get back flow, install or usually replace the one way inline valve(that no longer works)!!  In one line I even installed a 1/2 garden hose inline cut off! 

Don't you just love how POs change things and never leave a new diagram!!   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Mike, Steve's pictures in another thread re the water heater replacement has a good picture of the manifold for the freshwater system under the galley sink:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7144.msg48286.html#msg48286

The diagram in the manual is pretty good if your study it some.  The two water tanks feed the manifold with a plastic gate valve from each tank.

DON'T, do NOT, plumb your freshwater directly to the toilet.  Don't do it.

Simply connect the head inlet to the head sink drain line, like this: 

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.msg38216.html#msg38216

As far as the ice box drain, I can't help, we have a fridge and I capped the outlet years ago.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike McDonald

Thanks Ron & Stu,
This is very helpful. I always appreciate your feedback. You've been very helpful.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Susan Ray

Aloha Stu..Question..If you capped the outlet from the reefer what do you do with defrost water? My frig frosts over in about 5 days (I know, I'm working on the humidity problem..but this is a tropical place, always humid) so I need to defrost often. I am thinking of an in-line DC pump plumbed to the sink drain as right now it drains to the bilge (yuk). Unless you have some easy way to get rid of the defrost water??
Thanks...Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Stu Jackson

You're right.  We don't have that issue.  Sorry.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Susan : I surely am not Stu, but to answer your question on the fridge box drain -- That is exactly why I still have my foot pump connected.

We take 6 week cruises and the fridge still needs to be defrosted every couple of weeks.  It sure is nice to be able to pump out the majority of the water with the foot pump and finish off with a spoung.

Stu used to have his sink drain plumbed into that foot pump so his 1st Mate (Cory ) could get her "stair step" exercises by "pumping"out the sink!!  I recommened that she also face aft while pumping so each leg was exercised equally!!

Will be interested in Stu's reply to your question.  
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 20, 2012, 05:38:31 PM

Stu used to have his sink drain plumbed into that foot pump so his 1st Mate (Cory ) could get her "stair step" exercises by "pumping"out the sink!!  I recommended that she also face aft while pumping so each leg was exercised equally!!  

We still have it that way, works just fine.  Neither one of us has tried Ron's suggestion.  :D

The reason we have this is from the PO, who put a microwave underneath the galley sink, so I don't even think there's room to do the sink drain upgrade.  And even if there was room, I doubt if I'd spend the time to remove the microwave and do all that "work!"  :D  The foot pump still works just fine, reduces water use!  And increases exercise!

Ralph Masters

On Ciao Bella we still have and use the foot pump, but finish off with the wet/dry vac.  Ours is still an ice box, no fancy compressors and all that other stuff.  Some day, maybe.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

I guess that is a side benefit of an old refrig system that only keeps the fridge at about 40F! That, and living in San Diego, we haven't had to defrost yet...
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC