hot elelment in propane box

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

Yesterday, a few hours, after using the stove burners, I opened the proane box to turn the gas valve off. I was alarmed, that when I touched inadvertently the green electrical connector, that  it was very hot. I had not turned the solenoid off at the cabin panel. Is it normal for the box connector to heat up when the the solenoid circuit is closed (solenoid on)? I still need to test if it heats up with the battery on and solenoid off. I doubt that it will.
Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : Yes, the propane solenoid can and will get very warm.  

Don't know of a solution to keep it cool, except to turn it off when the stove is not in use.  
Safety also dictates the same!!

It also draws about .5 amps/hr.  A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ron,

---didn't know it drew that many amps.

Ken

Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Momentum M

We had a discussion on this a while ago and you'll see that it's a common situation.

You might want to read it:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3008.0.html

We always turn the selenoid off first after using the stove/oven so this way the line from the tank is pretty empty (at least not under pressure) and the flame goes out...then we turn the stove knob off. 
Also it prevent forgetting to turn off the selenoid..getting it hot (fire hazard? but I never heard of a fire caused by it) or drain the batteries.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Stewartn

For what it is worth:
1. After finishing with the propane stove for the day, with the burner still lit, I first turn off the valve on the propane tank. The flame goes out. Then turn off the Solenoid on the panel, then all of the control knobs on the stove. It assures me that the entire line is clean and green from the tank to the stove.
2. Also, I have a red nylon scrap,tied to the tank, that is left outside the propane locker whenever the valve is open.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Ken Heyman

Thanks all-I missed these original posts in my "search"---my bad. It appears that the hot temp is normal and the greater risk associates with propane management and not an electrical fire due to a "hot" solenoid.
That said, I will contimue my practice of turning the solenoid off after use and the gas off as part of our departure check-list
Thanks for the replys,

Ken

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Guys : Here is the way I check/shut down the propane system:

1. Turn OFF the stove burner
2. Turn OFF the propane soleniod switch
3. Turn OFF the propane at the tank
4. The next AM or a day or two later you still should have pressure in the propane line

This lets me know that I have a sealed system, just like checking after you reinstall a filled tank!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

Ron,
I still have CNG in my 87. Did you mount your propane tank in the aft cockpit lazarette?
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ken Heyman

My sequence and checklist is the same as Ron's.
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Les : Yes, I have the propane tank in a vented enclosure in the aft lazerette. 
Ron, Apache #788