Wood Carved Number on the bulkhead?

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

Sorry for the trivial question but I have been curious about something since I took possession of Dixie several years ago. In the forward cabin attached to the bulkhead is a beautiful teak placard apprx 24" x 5" with the number 927008 engraved on it. I am the 3rd owner and do not know if this was attached by the PO or if this number originated from Catalina and what the significance may be???

The number on the mainsail is 636 which I believe means that Dixie was the 636th C34 manufactured but I may be mistaken here as well???

I really appreciate this site as the weather turns grey....... makes the downtime a little easier to bear!

Thanks again!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Albreen

It is probably this US Coast Guard Vessel Documentation you can search at the USCG web site by number or owner name:

Data found in historical database no longer in Documentation. Vessel Name: VIVANT   USCG Doc. No.: 927008
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: WDD6037
Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: CTYP0636L788
Ship Builder: CATALINA YACHTS Year Built: 1987

Length (ft.): 34.5
Hailing Port: SEATTLE WA Hull Depth (ft.): 5.3
Owner:   Hull Breadth (ft.): 11.8
Gross Tonnage: 10
Net Tonnage: 9
Documentation Issuance Date: September 07, 2001 Documentation Expiration Date: September 30, 2002

Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes    Previous Vessel Owners:
HAROLD MUELLER
JONATHAN J. PARLE 
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Les Luzar

Kirk,
When a vessel is registered with the Coast Guard, the vessel documentation number is supposed to be permanently affixed to the hull in an area that is easily viewed. One of your previous owners chose the V-berth. If you search on this site, you will find numerous examples of this as well as the actual specified size of the characters.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Kirk Garner

Hey Thanks! Harold Mueller was the PO and Vivant was registered with USCG. Mystery solved.....
Kirk Garner

Ralph Masters

And the number on the sail is the hull number of your boat, 636

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : In 1982 the USCG requires that all documented vessels have their" documentation # scribed on the keel".

The alternate method is to router the numbers on to a teak or mahogany board and epoxy/glass that board on to the hull.  

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Exodus

I have never heard of a requirement to scribe the documentation number on the keel.  The following is verbatim from the USCG.

"The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."

Ralph Masters

I attached mine with a couple of screws backed up with 5200, it ain't never coming off without leaving a mark of some kind.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987