12 gals of regular 89 octane poured into 40 gal diesel to fi

Previous topic - Next topic

CatFriend

I hope i don't have a serious problem here. I accidently filled a friends diesel only tank, which took 12 gallons to fill. It is a 40 gallon diesel tank. What kind of problem am i dealing with here? Will it just mix up and burn off because of such a low ratio. Will i experience immediate problems? If not, how long before i experience problems?

jc

On one of my visits to the "Gas Dock" this summer, the attendant got the fuel hose while I pumped out, and handed it to me as I finished. I usually do this myself and will never again trust the kids that work there. I put about 2.75 gallons of gas in my 20 gallon diesel tank before I smelled the gas fumes. We spoke to 2 reliable sources. Both of them were of the opinion that 10% would not hurt the engine. One of them said that farmers used to use gas to thin out the diesel in their tractors in the colder months. I had no problem with starting, running, or engine temperature throughout the remaining season, but I certainly won't let it happen again.