Stinky water

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

If it's that bad consider removing the tanks to clean them.  Don't know how your tanks are setup but I don't think it's that much of a job.  It's not on mine.  Then I would replace the vent lines and any easy lines.  When the tanks are clean and back in shock the system.  That should do it.  Then consider using only one tank and keep the other empty so that you keep changing the water.  And consider treating at each refill.  Also check the hose you fill the tanks with.  A regular garden hose sitting on a hot dock can get really funky.
Hope that helps.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on July 17, 2017, 11:31:27 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any ideas?

Do you have an inspection port?  My starboard tank does, aft? Dunno.  Shock 'em the same.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Pgutierrez

My Catalina 36 is on the upper Mississippi (60 - 70 miles down river from Minneapolis.   A few years ago I started winterizing fresh water tanks with a few liters of cheapest rum or vodka in the store.  Kills off bacteria in hoses, loosens up any scuzz or fuzz in the system, minimizes bleaching, comes in as a handy excuse to make Bloody Mary at the start of commissioning weekend in the spring...(You can just dump it, drink it, save it for when that undeserved dock neighbor comes by for a toot).  Just sayin...
👹👹👹