CNG Supplier?

Previous topic - Next topic

burner

Ok, I have a problem that I hope someone can help me out with.  I have a 1988 model with the CNG option.  I sail on Pickwick Lake, which is on the borders of the state of Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama.  I can find no place in my area that I can purchase CNG, so I've been looking at possibly changing out my CNG to a propane system.  That however is quite a few dollars, and I'm not sure that my oven/stove can be converted, making the cost increase even more if it can't.  My question is - does anyone know of a supplier - my thinking being that maybe along the coast it may be easier to locate a supplier.  I could make a long weekend trip to the coast a couple times per year for a refill.  Would prefer something from New Orleans down to maybe Destin.  Any advice/information would certainly be welcomed!

calewis

This site has the suppliers of CNG. www.safgas.com has a number of products for purchace as well.

http://www.safgas.com/cylinder_exchange_locations.htm

jentine

Steve, the reason that you can't find a CNG supplier is that they all realized that the change to propane is safer, cheaper and longer lasting than the former.  Your oven/stove can be changed with the addition of new jets.  Contact the manufacturer of the unit for the parts.
Do yourself a favor and convert to a better system.  If you can afford to own a Catalina 34, you can afford to change over to propane.
Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

Steve,

Jim's right.

I, however, still have CNG because within a five minute WALK from my marina is a chandlery that still sells CNG ($16.24 swap out per cannister) and we have a backup cannister on board in the port settee).  I take the car with the cannister or hoof it over with a dock cart!!!

There is a lot of material on the 'site about switching out from CNG to propane.  Some of it is in the Mainsheet articles (both online and on your CD).  

Search on the 'site and it will hit on the tech notes index.  Go from there.  If I recall, there is just a (relatively small) adjustment that needs to be made to the burners (don't forget the oven section).  

Ron Hill did the best ever job of describing how to install the larger NEW tanks with the "our government made it safer but more difficult" connectors in Projects.

If you choose NOT to switch you should consider getting a backup cannister or TWO to reduce travel time for refills.  I record that we use one cannister (torpedo tube is more like it!) every six months or so (coffee weeeknds, occaissional dinners during the summer, relatively light, NOT liveaboard use).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mike baker

Some natural gas utilities (local gas company) operate their service vehicles on cng and will refill portable bottles for the public.  You might check this out.If you deside to change contact Seaward for propane lockers, etc.  They are very cooperative and helpful.

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

stamch

I purchased an adapter for my CNG tank and refill them at any location that has CNG for automobiles.  It costs about $1.00 per fill.

In Maryland, Baltimore Gas and Electric has a number of fill sites around the state.  I fill up at the Millersville Crown station.

I have two tanks, and I charter my boat, two fills last the full season.

cap'n Stan, C34 #114 "Pisces"
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD.

Alohman

Capn Stan,

Saw your posting re filling of CNG.  We live about 1/2 hour south of Annapolis and the only place I found nearby to swap CNG tanks is Hartges at about $48 a swap.  Where did you get the adaptor to allow refill?  Where is the Millersville Crown station that you indicate will refill your tank.  Reply to Allohman@aol.com
Thanks for you help
Vicky Lohman