Old Nautical Saying..."moments of terror...boredom..."

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

This probably isn't the best forum, but I find that Catalina owners are well read and informed.  Does anyone recall that saying, something about "sailing is ordinary moments,,,intersperced with moments of sheer terror and boredom"  or something like that?  I have been combing through my library looking for the exact quote but I can't seem to find it.  If you have any thoughts or references I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks
Randy
Voyager

Stu Jackson

Randy

Have you tried a Google search?

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

yes, several search engines, including meta crawler...but it's just some obsecure line that I have read a number of times..something about describing sailing as ordinary? highlighed or surrounded or intersperced with moments of sheer terror or boredom.  I was going to use the quote as an analogy to life, but I'm coming up empty.  I was hoping someone might have recall of the line.  It's probably been in a book or artical in cruising world.

Rodney

I've heard the general expression "hours (or days or weeks) of boredom punctuated by a few moments of sheer terror" applied to several sports and avocation including sailing, flying and the military. This link should give you all the sailing references you need:
Sheer Terror Links

Rodney Grim
San Diego WA7ZIA

captran

I'll keep looking.  Thanks.  the closest Ive found is  "sailing is mostly ordinary moments sprinkeled with times of terror and sheer boredom"

rm_fleming

Dating back to even the early years of my law enforcement career (now 30 years), I can recall that phrase used to describe what police work is like.  "...hours upon hours of pure tedium accentuated by moments of sheer terror"  Those who have policed in the more intense urban environments know how well the phrase describes the work.  I suppose it describes other fields of endevor as well, but I would argue urban police work is the best fit.

Aquakon

"To run over better waters the little vessel of my genius now hoists her sails, as she leaves behind her a sea so cruel."

- Dante

"What though the mast be now blown overboard,
The cable broke, the holding anchor lost,
And half our sailors swallow'd in the flood?
Yet lives our pilot still."

- Shakespeare

...but nothing specific to sailing referencing sheer terror, moments of boredom...

- quoth the lurker, "Evinrude!"

Rumours of my Death Persist

sailon1

Randy,
The quote 90% boredom, 10% sheer terror was quoted by author John Casey. I knew the qoute and found John Casey via msn search.
Joe
#637 "God's Grace"

captran

thanks to all of you.  That gives me several slants to use.  I was using it as a reference and comparison to life for our Christmas parody type newsletter.  Maybe I did hear it first when I went through a mid size city police academy back in 75. (only about 150000 in our city at the time, so not exactly urban.)  Fortunately I traded careers which gives me summers off, to enjoy sailing.  Definately a good move.  I see alot of boats used 2 weeks a year plus some long weekends.  Two months isn't alot, but seems like a good compromise between finanical needs vs not putting it off for retirement and facing the tragedy that befell Grant Reed.  anyway, thanks again.  this is a great web site that has given me alot of helpful info about "Voyager" . :)

Gregg Johnson

Actually, you are talking about an old description of flying that goes

"hours of sheer boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror."

I suppose this could aloso apply to some sailing incident, but it is more likley to describe a flying experience as a pilot.

Steve Ormond

I thought that the quoted saying came from someone's description of war from a foot soldier's perspective.  Can't begin to think from what source I had that impression.