Galley water inlet seacock...problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan

Hi:

I have never used raw water to clean dishes in the galley in my 1989 Catalina because the sea water foot pump at the galley has been broken since I got the boat 5 years ago. So I have always kept the valve for this seacock closed.

We opened this valve recently and discovered that water goes straight to the bilge. It is not a big flow but it is more than a trickle. As far as I know, opening this valve does not suppose to bring water unless you use the foot pump, right? And why is water going to the bilge, anyway? I guess I have a seacock problem?

Thanks,

Juan

RV61

Juan,
On my 86 model the One sea cock under the galley sink is to drain the double bowl sink and the ice box. The foot pump just inside to door is used to drain ice box. Some have this set up to drain in bildge some  have it set up to drain thru the one seacock. Never seen a Catalina set up to pull raw sea water to the sink. Do you have two seacocks in the galley on for draining sink and another?   
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Juan

Rick:

I have two seacocks in the galley (one for draining the sink which works fine and the other one with the problem that I mentioned). I also have two foot pumps (one inside the door to drain the ice box, like yours, and another one to pump sea water to the sink which is the one that is broken)

RV61

Juan,
OK I now understand what you have.itself.  Were exactly is it leaking into the bildge? At the seacock handle? or the hose  from the seacock to the foot pump, the foot pump itself or the hose from foot pump to sink?
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Juan

Rick, I didn't check. I was affraid of opening the valve again and then something catastrophic hapening. But I guess that is the way to go to see where is the root of the problem..

RV61

Juan,
I think you are on the right path. If you think that opening  seacock you may have failure in the sense it will not close and stop the water have a plug plug ready. I have plugs on a string
at each seacock just in case. Luckily never had to use one. As you know when you open seacock water comes in and you close seacock water should stop. From your description your seacock works the way that it should. Not sure what brand and model of pump you have but you may want to visit whalepumps.com and insallation guides may help you trouble shoot.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ron Hill

Guys : I have the same factory set up as Juan.
There are two thru-hulls with sea cocks that are accessable under the galley opening door.  The one in front is for the double sink drain.  The second is not easily spotted because it is behind the fresh water 12v pump - it attaches to the raw water foot pump that has a center of the double sink spicket.

Juan, you either have a loose hose clamp on the thru hull connection/ or somewhere in that hose/ or at the Whale foot pump connection/ or the pump itself, causing the leak.

I'd remove the long and over the battery comp. cushions.  Then remove the cutout over the starboard tank and look aft at that raw water seacock and start tracing your leak from there to the foot pump.  

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Juan

Thanks Ron. I will do that.

Juan

PD: attached is a picture of the seacocks, just in case (the one on the right is the raw water inlet seacock)

Lance Jones

Juan,
I had a similar problem. However, it was the pump that failed. Replaced pump, problem solved.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

WTunnessen

For what its worth, I re-purposed mine for the water in take for my AC unit.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan and D.Gill : That seawater thru hull under the sink has been changed by numerious owners for numerious other uses!!

D.Gill uses it for a source of water for the anchor wash down pressure pump.  It exits up to a deck fitting next to the starboard water fill.  Then a hose is attached to that fitting (when hoisting the anchor) and it squirts down the anchor. The Coiled hose is stored in the anchor well.  One day I suspect she'll write it up for the Mainsheet tech notes!! 

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788