Anti Skid Painting

Previous topic - Next topic

secondhandlion

This is my first post and I have searched this site but have not found what I am really looking for on this issue. Secondhand Lion is 1987 hull 344 with Light Grey anti skid that is really done on the forward deck. In places you can see the fiberglass beginning to show through.  I have read a lot on the internet about many products and would really like to know if this project is a DIY or needs to be done by a pro. I have been quoted approx 2000.00 to do this job with awlgrip from 2 different shops. About 500 in materials and 1500 labor. I am retired and have plenty of time on my hands and would like to hear from you guys and gals about your experience with this issue. Reccomendations on products. Boat is located in Niceville, Fl and it is 95f today. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Rick Johnson

I've not tried it, but know several people at my marina who have had good luck with Kiwigrip.  I watched one of the boat owners applying the product and decided when the time comes I'd give it a try.  I believe Practical Sailor thought well of the product.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jim Hardesty

Don Casey goes into detail....He is my DYI mentor.  Look at "This Old Boat" 2nd edition.  The book is well worth the price.  I got mine from Amazon.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stephen Butler

Have not actually done this project as yet, except for filling and painting a few cracks in the cockpit.  However, we have done quite a bit of research for a future non-skid project and have some consistent results that might be of interest.  Our C34 is also in Florida and we have received 3 quotes of approximately $2000.  Your price quotes seem about right.   We have also spoken with several yards and they all assure us that this can be readily done by us....not with 2 part sprayed paint, but with any of the single part expoxy non-skid products available.  The largest part of the project will be waiting for low humidity days (critical) and the taping and clean up. Also, based on some actual temperature measurements, if you replace the gray with a light beige non-skid, you will drop the boat's internal temperature in the summer by 9F.  Just a thought. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

mtullier

Pettit easy poxy has held up well on our nonskid surface. Roughly 2 years and still looks great
Mike

scotty

Hi Leo (Lion, get it?) :?  Thanks for the post.  I have an area (the forward anchor hatch doors) that needs repainting and this thread has helped me think about how to go about it.  
New boat?  I also have an older (2987) 34 and love it.  Welcome aboard!
Scotty

Clay Greene

I have done the cockpit floor with Interlux Interdeck and not been impressed.  It has small chips in a couple of locations.  I too have seen the good reviews of the Kiwigrip product - This Old Boat had an article in the last couple of years about a couple who described their cockpit project and they spoke highly of it. 

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ralph Masters

We had a similar problem on Ciao Bella, a 1987, 367 hull number.  We had it painted with awlgrip.  One coat of primer and two coats over that with silica in the top coat for the none slip.  I'll get the name and number of the guy we used and pass it along.  About 2 grand, but two years later it looks great still.  He said the paint manufacturer would not honor the 20 year warranty with out the second coat.
We're down in Pier 32 marina if you'd like to see the results some time.

Ralph and AnnMarie
Ciao Bella 
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Ralph,
This is something that I am going to have to address at some point in the future. Your information will be helpfull. Windshadow's  non-skid paint is beginning to wear thin in a few spots and this may be a new (want) to-do at some point in the future....
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

efhughes3

I did my decks on an old Alberg I had years ago, with Interlux Brightside. Primer, then two top coast, with the silica added on the non-skid. Rolled on quite well. Did the brush tipping thing to smooth it on the smooth portions. It looked like it was sprayed on, IMO and many others'.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC