engine not starting....

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

The engine cranks every time just dosnt attempt to get fuel.
Talking to others and reading your responses, I am going to look into
An electric issue, like the gnd, or maybe some other loose wire.
Like I said, she was running beautiful until Tuesday.

patrice

Hi,

One thing, not that I 'm an expert, but as per one mentioned, with all the starting attempt you did.
Did you opened the purge on the muffler, to let the water out.  If not, the water might went into the cylinders by now, and it will not start anymore.

Would it be possible that the glowplugs don't get power, without pre-heat, engine will turn, but won't start.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

RonE : With a diesel - If your engine cranks it is NOT an electrical problem!!  It is a fuel problem!!

Like I said in my previous post, start at the tank and check at each place the fuel should come out of the i.e.the electric fuel pump, then the Racor filter, then the hose to the injection pump, then to an injector, then to the fuel return line.  Somewhere your engine is not getting fuel and it should start if the engine cranks. 

While you and your buddies were cranking the engine remember to not load up the muffler with raw water.  Just turn off the raw water thru hull until you can get the engine started running again and then open the thru hull so you get the cooling water.
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

same thing happend to me, one day engine wouldn't start, it boiled down to faulty glow plugs, if you energize the glow plugs too long they can burn out.  I replaced the glow plugs and haven't had any issues since.  I bought them from carquest for around $6.00 each, way cheaper than Universal or Kubuto wanted.
I know you are not supposed to use starting fluid, and wouldn't recommend it, but I talked to our local mechanic,  he suggested in a emergancy, fogging the engine with starting fluid, that is, spray it up in the air way over the top of the engine, some people place some on a rag,and hold it against the air filter,  if engine starts and runs, there is a good chance it is a glow plug issue.  Glow plugs can also be tested on the boat, can't remember what the resistance is but I do believe it is in these archieves.  Any way just me two cents
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

RonE

I rather deal with a fuel issue...if that's what it is.
And yes the muffler was full of water, I let it drain for a while.
Is there anything I need to do ??
I will go point to point again to check the fuel flow...
I will let know

Clay Greene

One thing I have not seen mentioned is to make sure your fuel lift pump is working.  You should hear it clicking once you turn the key switch to on. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stewartn

Are you absolutely, positively, no[question - that the fuel shut off is in the proper position ? I had an issue, sounds similar, caused by the cut off plunger on the panel not being firmly seated in the OPEN (down) position. How about the cable end on the engine? I have had the throttle come loose down there. Perhaps the connection to shut off on engine has lost it's nut.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

RV61

Ron E,
In reading thru the thread all are good things to check. To try and summerize  in check list format what  I would look for when she cranks but does not start . I would also do one task at a time so when she finally starts you will know the culprit.   
1. Engine Kill switch lever- Is it all the way down? Is the cable working and putting the kill lever  switch back in the start posion at the engine? Have seen or experienced both.
2. Check for Air. Open bleed screw knob at engine turn on key to turn on fuel pump. Listen for the clicking of fuel if you have the old facet fuel pump. Let fuel pump run for a couple minutes. Then close Bleed knob clicking should be reduced to a click every couple of seconds or less. If clicking is not reduced is a sign of air in systems. If suspect air in system check all fuel hose connections. Look for cracks in all hose and check your primary and secondary filters for proper seating of gaskets. If air is not an issue then most likely it is fuel related or glow plugs.

3. If  Fuel  is the suspect. Do you have fuel in tank? Is fuel turned on at the tank? Would not trust guage 100%.  Be sure electric fuel lift pump is working however if tank is above the electric pump a working pump is not needed .  Disconnect fuel hose at the engine . Turn fuel pump on see if you get a good flow. If getting good flow I would suspect
either glow plug or injectors and would investigate. If not a good flow check to be sure there is fuel in tank . Then change all three filters. Engine filter, Water seperator filter usally a Racor or Dahl brand and  the often forgotten filter in the electric fuel pump .
Good luck
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ron Hill

RonE : You've gotten a number of items to check.

If you see the Volt meter drop a couple of volts when you engage the glow plugs, they are probably working.  If you have any kind of compression the engine will eventually start even if the glow plugs are not heating(in 70-80F WX).
Check the fuel cut off at the engine and make sure it hasn't slipped in to the OFF postion.

You've just moved the boat quite a distance and if you were in some rough WX, a dirty tank could have mixed up some of the sludge and clogged the fuel flow.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

RonE

Fuel going into injection pump bleed.
Nothing coming out the return ...
So does that mean the fuel is clogged in the
Injector pump or the injectors.

Ron Hill

RonE : You have to have the bleed valve open or partially open (to have a "self bleeding " system) to see fuel coming out of the fuel return line from the injecters (injectors)!  
Ron, Apache #788

RonE

Wow...big difference,
Flowing out fine thru the return line now.   
Question...
Do  you start the engine with the injection pump bleeder valve open.
When do you close the bleeder value on the injector

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RonE

Ok bleed system thru, left open the inj. Pump
Bleeder value and attempted to start.
Same issue cranks but not enough to start her.
Got a 'local' diesel coming tomorrow morning..
Why would a glo plug go bad, how does one replace
It.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."