Replaced rope clutches, yet they still slip

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

I replaced my worn out clutches with new Spinlock XTS triples... yet my halyards still slip.  Not as much, but I understand there's a way to make the line thicker where it goes through the clutch, so I'm going to have to research how to do that.

So you may want to try making the line thicker before replacing your clutches... might save you some hassle.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Gary Brockman

I had a similar problem with my main halyard last year. I replaced the halyard and it still slipped so I then replaced the clutch which solved the problem for about nine months when it started to slip again. My rigger reinforced an 18" section of the halyard that was held by the clutch by sewing whipping line back and forth through the section which has solved the problem.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

scotty

Good solution, Gary.  Another thing to try is to soak the line in Downey fabric softener.  It makes the line a bit thicker, as well as giving it a nice "hand".  I don't know if it will affect line strength - anyone out there with data or opinions on this?
Scotty

noworries

1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Les Luzar

Regarding soaking running lines in fabric softner, technically, I have read that people in the rope business say it does affect the internal fibers to a small degree, however, practically, it will be fine for a cruiser. I have soaked many old lines to eliminate the stiffness of aged lines, and none of them have ever failed. Usually you soak old still lines, but if soaking a new line swells it up a bit, it won't hurt. Let us know the result if you choose to try it.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ken Juul

I have a similiar problem, my new halyards are slightly smaller than the old ones so it take longer for the clutch to grab.  I just apply some pressure on the clutch jaws with my finger before releasing the line from the winch.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA